32-bit PCI slot? and 64bits DDR graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

breenen

Beta member
Hello all,

I will be getting a graphics card soon, but want to make sure i get the correct one.

I have three 32-bit PCI slot in my PC, and wanted to buy a ge-force 128MB PCI 64bits DDR Memory Interface. All looks fine other than its a 64 bit card?(i think) or because it says DDR after, does this mean it will fit in my 32 bit slots?

Can anyone help on this please.

Thanks all again

Darren

it means the link between GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) and the video card's memory is 64 bits wide. the PCI slot being 32-bit won't stop it from working.

although PCI is not exactly great to use for a graphics card, you should try and use AGP or PCI-E if you can. but it also depends if your motherboard supports it.

Thank you, my computer doesnt have an AGP or PCI-E slot, so will have to live with a basic PCI slot.

But, are you saying that i should be able to put my 64 bit card into my 32bit slot? if so, do you have any info on how this works? or does it mean that the graphics card will only use 32 bits.

the 64-bit is not referring to the interface between the card and motherboard (which is the PCI interface), it's referring to the interface between GPU and VRAM, which is inside the card and will not be affected by being in a 32-bit PCI slot.

Thank you greatly for your support. One last questions... why is it called a 32bit PCI slot, if you can but 64bit cards into it? Could they not just call it a PCI slot? and leave the 32bit out? or does the 32bit in the slot have any meaning.

Thank you for helping again

I made a picture of a video card to show you what I'm talking about:
videocard.gif

the PCI slot is 32-bits wide, which means it transfers 32 bits of data at a time to and from the card.

the memory bus is a completely different thing. it transfers data to and from the GPU and memory (VRAM) and on your card is 64-bits wide.

the PCI bus being 32 bit doesn't affect the memory bus being 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom