Looking for a new Motherboard!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleaf

Baseband Member
Hello! I need all of you help!
I am looking for a new motherboard and I am having an extremely hard time landing on a solid choice.
What I am going to need is a motherboard and a processor for under $200. I don't mind if it is AMD or Intel and I don't mind if it's a Sempron or a Celeron.

Here are a couple of idea's I have, it would also be good if the motherboard has overclockability options beyond adjusting the front side bus.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1647690&CatId=188 [Socket A, which is the same as I have now, and is showing it's age...]

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...etails.asp?EdpNo=1567116&Sku=MCM-SK8T800-2800 [Seems nice, but it doesn't have any temperature monitering or many overclockability options!]

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1165947&Tab=0&NoMapp=0 [Seems Alright, but I head there is still very little overclockability, this one also seems like it will take longer to ship because it's not in stock = p.]

Does anybody else have any reccomendations? I'm just having a really hard time.

Ah, now that looks nice! Do you reccomend I get something at newegg rather than tigerdirect? That seems like a nice deal...

But I have another question, I have a bunch of ram BUT it is the old 133 sdram. I don't think it will fit these newer motherboards will it? I may have to get some cheap 256 or 512 meg ddr ram too...

so you're planning on using older parts on a newer system?

no, SDRAM won't work in this motherbord. it's been phased out, and only lasted until about the 1.5GHZ/1500+ CPU era

the current standard is DDR, which is going to be replaced by DDR2 within 1-2 years.
Intel's socket 775 uses DDR2, everything else so far uses DDR1. AMD's next socket, called M2, will use DDR2 and should be coming out in Q1 2006

also, if you have an older video card, you might not be able to use it in this motherboard. it will need to be at least an AGP 4X card to work.

Yes, ok I understand, I won't be able to use my old ram. I also just got a new agp 8x video card, which is another reason why I am going to upgrade my motherboard because it can't handle past 2x. I can use my hard drive, cd drive, psu etc. from my computer right now.

Maybe I'll get a Sempron 64 3000+ or 2800 and use the extra money saved to get some ddr ram. Another question, the motherboard you reccomended says it accepts ddr400 ram, will it not except anything below that like ddr333 or 266. I know it won't except sdram.

Also, do you know if this motherboard has overclockable options? I haven't been able to find anywhere that talks about that.

Thank you! =-)

Ah, Thank you for showing me that ram, I suppose I should just go with that then.

Alright, this is what I have so far.

GIGABYTE GA-K8U Socket 754 ULi M1689 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $48.00

pqi POWER Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model $33.14

AMD Sempron 64 2800+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor Model SDA2800BXBOX - Retail $75.50

Total $156.64
(Plus about $7 shipping)

I'm surprised, I think that's a pretty good deal. Do you have any other reccomendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom