Need Help Reformatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

airtim00

Beta member
Hi I'm a computer noobie and i wanna reformat my comp to start over from scratch. I think i can do it if i follow instructions on websites, but I don't have a windows Xp disc, but i do have a windows 2000 proffessional disc. Can I reformat (reboot) a comp with WIndows XP to Windows 2000 using the windows 2000 disc. Also what is considered a bootable disc? The CD i have is the WIndows 2000 Upgrade CD, not a restore CD. I've never reformatted before, so any tips, or instructions would be very helpful.

sorry if it is the upgrade disc i don't think it will be possible, not without another copy of windows earlier than 2k that is. the upgrade discs have to be started from within windows and upgrade versions are locked out if they are started from within an os newer than the upgrade version. i think. so to be able to use the upgrade version it would need to be started from say win me or 98se.

You can use an upgrade disc with no problem as long as it can detect that there's already a windows on the machine. If it doesn't detect it, it will ask for a full version of a windows OS disc. You don't actually have to install that disc, you just have to have it, and put it in when it asks, take it out, and put your current disc back in. You don't actually need to install from this disc, so if you don't have one, maybe you could borrow. I've got a Windows 98 full version disc I use for this purpose sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom