Celeron vs Pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarSec

Beta member
I am a complete newbye of hardware, so I will thanks any help.
I'm making myself a new computer so I would like to know what is the difference between a Intel Celeron, and a intel Pentium 4.
and why is there so mutch diference in price? and which would you recomend to buy??

The Celeron chip is based off of a Pentium 2 CPU(Old technology), While the Pentium 4 is all HyperThreading. There is also a big difference between the two, Celeron is not as fast as the P4. If your looking for speed then get the P4, I would recommend a (Easily overclockable) 2.6CGHz 800MHz - Front Side Bus <-Make sure your motherboard can support that. But if your going to buy a Celeron look at AMD first.

The51

Well, sort of. The Pentium 4 (as well as its Celeron) is essentially the same core as far back as the PII, with a faster core frequency, shrunken die size, new form factor, additional instruction set, etc. if you want to look at it that way. Furthermore, not all Pentium 4s have Hyperthreading enabled. The Celeron runs on a slower bus than the P4 B or C stepping, but equivalent to that of the first-generation P4s. The main downfall is that it can contain only 1/4-1/2 of the level 2 cache size of the P4, which can downsize on performance (e.g. a Celeron 2.0 GHz performing only equivalent to that of a P4 1.5 GHz)

In other words, the Pentium 4 is the much better deal if you can afford it. I could only recommend the Celeron if you use your machine for basic tasks (e.g. email/web-surfing/MS Word, etc.), as well as casual gaming, but even for those, the P4 is still the better buy.

if you can afford the P4 I would go w/ it
the celeron is best for everyday work ie: word processing...

either way you look at it they both come in the same anti static bag

every generation of Celerons are based on one of the Pentium CPU's as a cheap alternative to those who are not heavy PC users.
the different generations of Celerons are based on Pentium 2's, Pentium 3's and Pentium 4's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom