Some newbie SATA questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
the benefit of RAID is if you have 2 (or more) identical drives you can set them up to access data faster (RAID 0) or store same data to both to prevent catastrophical crashers (RAID 1) there are many more kinds but those are the most common. usually you can actually get 2 smaller drives cheaper then 1 larger and RAID them together for faster access times (so buy 2 80gb drives instead of 1 160gb drive)
but if 1 disk in a RAID 0 crashes the other is useless. (DOA. gone. no use unless reformatted)

As far as I know, the drivers must be on floppy.

I have two Maxtors on RAID 0. When you're setting this up during start-up, it may be referred to as 'stripping', at least in my case it does. I guess I do realize an increase in performance, at least during windows loading. I just set it up for heck of it because I never really have any life-dependent files on my hdds, so if one of them dies I wouldn't care. I also reformat fairly regularly. RAID 1 is recommended if you need to back up your stuff. It is also referred to as 'mirroring'.

I'm assuming your mobo has a built-in RAID controller since your cd has RAID software on it, but just double check to make sure.

Have fun.

RAID0 = faster but not fault-tolerant (used by gamers)

RAID1 = slow but it's fault-tolerant (50% disk space is used to the array to store redundant data)

RAID5 = it's a combination of RAID0 and RAID1 (uses 3 or more hard drives)

A few things:

Even is you're installing XP SP2, you need to press F6, just like I had to when I built my computer 2 months ago.

Depending on the motherbaord manufacturer, you should be able to make a driver floppy if you boot the pc off of the motherboard cd. Thats what I did with my Asus, I booted the computer off of the motherboard cd, was givin 2 options, to format a floppy and to make a SATA/RAID driver disk. After that you can install the drivers when asked during OS installation.

No, you can't install the drivers off of the CD, XP installation wont recognize it, even if you have more than one optical drive.

RAID 0 + 1 is a combination of a RAID 0 Array and a RAID 1 Array

cedjunior said:
A few things:

Even is you're installing XP SP2, you need to press F6, just like I had to when I built my computer 2 months ago.

well not my motherboard. probably ur drivers weren't signed so microsoft didn't put that on SP2.

all i can say is that SP2 has the sata drivers. microsoft compiled all drivers to work wid serial ata drives

cedjunior said:

yah and that's called RAID5

If XP SP2 already comes with the SATA drivers, why does it say to press F6 during install to install SATA drivers? Doesn't make much sense. I've seen plenty of people who have asked why windows is telling them that no HDD is found when their trying to install windows, and fix it by installing the SATA drivers.

Also

Level 5 -- Block Interleaved Distributed Parity: Provides data striping at the byte level and also stripe error correction information. This results in excellent performance and good fault tolerance. Level 5 is one of the most popular implementations of RAID

Level 0+1 – A Mirror of Stripes: Not one of the original RAID levels, two RAID 0 stripes are created, and a RAID 1 mirror is created over them. Used for both replicating and sharing data among disks.

2 different concepts.

like i said, microsoft only include drivers on their service pack that are only digitally signed.

yah i get the concept but the way u explained on the other post "a combination of a RAID 0 Array and a RAID 1 Array" made me think of RAID5 cuz it is a combination of both

cedjunior said:

Nevermind, you deleted the post I originally replied to.

Anyway, RAID5 is not a combination of both RAID 0 and RAID 1, like I said, and you said, its a totally different concept, not subject to confusion. I wouldn't even be refuring to RAID 5 because most mainstream home user motherboards dont support it.

Thats like saying apples sounds like oranges because they are both fruit. No dice.... I'm outta here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom