internet cafe's athlon, WOW !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok queston: on a mobo.. say there are like 3 types of MSI boards to choose from.. and only one says SLI.. im assuming thats better because it also costs more. But, what exactly does the "SLI" part mean.. how much better will that board be.. and what does that mean as far as psu and other components?

Well, based on the fact that it is 1.8ghz and dual core, with 2x1mb of l2 cache, that is just a tad better than the athlon 64 x2 3800+, which is equal to 3.8GHz pentium d. But it is a socket 940 opteron, and would not be practical for a workstation, a socket 939 opteron 165 or athlon 64 x2 3800+ would be better, and only a fraction of the price.

SLI means it has support for running dual nvidia geforce 6 or 7 video cards at once.

Really, an athlon 64 x2 3800+ is equal to a Pentium D 3.8Ghz. Not really. More like an Pentium D 3.2Ghz. But since, its no longer hyperthreading, then that's why the 3800+ beats the crap out of the Pentium D.

Roger

if mobo's confuse you why are you getting one of the mobo's with a bizzillion of options which are a good thing :)

good choice :D

also as to hyper threading being why the amd kicks the intells ass
its not that. Intel rushed to get their processors out and left them inefficiant. im sure somone can explain it better whith more detail but basically the arctiecture of the intel means taht the second core is simply stuck ontop of the other one and its data has to go a long way while with the amd they did propper work and linked the cores efficiently. i believe that another reason that the intel is slow is that both cores compete for the memory controller (on motherboard).

i hope that somone else can clarify this cos im not by any means 100% on this but i think it might be close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom