help with linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITZBVAN005

In Runtime
i am having trouble with my 2nd computer in my room its an old NEC it had windows 98 on it but i want to replace it with linux instead of it.my problem is that NO linux operating system is working for me.the stats of my pc are its OLDER then dirt.its got like 128 mb of ram,64 mb vid card,celeron processor,and 333mhz.i know its a SPEED demon.LOLOLOL.everyone is prolly laffing at me and is like WHY the hell would keep it well i am keeping it for my server in my room. i want to use it as my server and my other pc as my gaming pc.but i was wondering if someone can help me get this up and running because i have tried pretty much every linux out there.i am going to after xmas put a new processor,mobo,ram,and hdd into it bc i am gettin all new stuff for my other pc for xmas.so i want to get the other one pretty dam sweet.anyone got any recommedations on anything i should put into that would not be to costly?any good linux operating system that would be good to put on to it? i want linux so bad on it. because i want to learn it i hear its WAY better then xp pro once you get used to it. what linux would everyone recommend i try putting on it?and i sent away for some free ubutunu cds from www.ubutunu.org and i was wondering if thats a scam or has anyone recieved cds from them?bc i am SCARED that i am being scammed.soo please reply to me asap with all my questions please it will be greatly appericated thanks for you time and help

No, thats not a scam, though the CDs take a long time to come - so I believe.

Theres nothing wrong with that machine, its plenty to run Linux just don't expect to run KDE or gnome at usable speed, if its going to be run as server then there is no need to install X and do away with gui apps altogether. If you must have gui apps use a less intensive DE maybe xfce, fluxbox or similar

Any would do, its not so much the operating system that'll bog your system, more X and a heavy DE, however having said that I like Slackware - though compared to the other distros theres quite a steep learning curve to climb if your new to linux

Linux is cool, I have it on my rig and use it for development and graphics rendering.
The thing with Linux is that you need to be patient and learn the way it works. Also, the people who use Linux are mostly tech junkies who hate the limitations of Windows, and dont use Windows unless they're playing a game or something like that. Support for Linux is extensive, but you have to do some research yourself.
As for distros, I prefer Fedora. I've never used Knoppix, but I have heard nothing but good things about it. You could give Mandriva a try as well, that's what they're calling Mandrake these days.
I wish you luck, and as the poster above said, your rig is plenty capable of running Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom