unable to install windows... and windows only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldealba

Solid State Member
for some reason i cant install windows xp home or pro on a maxtor 60 gig ata/133 hdd... on any computer i try it on. however, and this is what gets me, i can install anything else... any linux distro, free bsd, whatever-- just not windows!!

i just dont understand. ive formated, and formated and formated and still no go.

it prompts if i want to boot w/ cd press any key.. done.

next it give the "setup is checking hardware config, blahblah" message...

then it goes black and never moves from there.

anyone else come across this?

thanks.

how long does it stay at the blank screen, i experience that for maybe up to a minute, never more than that, is it a copied cd? it only happens when im using a burned, or edited xp disc

wait, i just reread it...so u formated it and its still bringing up the press any key to boot from cd? that doesnt make sense, if your drive is blank and xp sees no OS its just gonna boot right into the cd, what happens if u just let it boot...u may want to low level erase your drive, try kill disk or powermax

no, there genuine windows cd's. it stays black screen forever. well atleast five minutes, i dont have patience to go longer.

yea thats what ive noticed. when i let it boot up, fedora starts up, but does some error "kill" something something(going off of memory right now)

ive considered it being a bad HDD, but its out of warranty.

it began when i installed my xp pro on it, but it wouldnt except my key, so i d/l some key gen that created a message saying "your machine has been infected."

ever since then no go w/ installing windows... but just windows.

i ran a antivirus check on it and it found no viruses but two files, a master and a boot... i think... im pretty sure those were the two files.

anyway, thanks for the replys! i hope the extra info makes sense, i think i will get kill disk-- one question about it, being that there is no running os on the HDD currently, do i install it as a slave, and using the master run kill disk to wipe the slave? is that possible?

thanks again.

kill disk runs off of floppy, or cd, i believe, powermax runs off cd or floppy also, you create the boot disk and boot off them.

i formated it using windows. installed it as a slave then right-clicked it and did format disk. i did this close to ten times.

i burned a copy of kill disk, ill try tommorow and see what happens.

thanks.

ldealba said:
it prompts if i want to boot w/ cd press any key.. done.

next it give the "setup is checking hardware config, blahblah" message...

the first thing xp does is it checks for hardware compatibility...is ur hd compatible wid xp? u can check the manufacturer's website

ldealba said:
i formated it using windows. installed it as a slave then right-clicked it and did format disk. i did this close to ten times.

i burned a copy of kill disk, ill try tommorow and see what happens.

thanks.

Whooooooaaaaaa.....why did you format it and then install it as a slave? Its going to ready the other driver and you wont be able to setup windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom