Browers won't connect to internet, funny settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roseswirl

Beta member
Hey I'm new here. Really love computers (kind of a computer-nerd heh)...but I have this problem...which is probably minor...but I can't seem to figure out exactly whats wrong. But heres the scope:

My brother/sister came home for the holidays....and people started messing around with my parents computer...and I have a feeling someone set something wrong in the control panel. And now none of the browsers (internet explorer, firefox) will connect. The firefox says "can't connect to server" and the internet explorer just has the no display page. But there is a connection (I already checked that out). From the looks of things it looks like something is either a) blocking the connection or b) some option is set funny.

So I disabled the firewall they had up...and uninstalled the virus, spyware programs...and that still didn't fix the problem. I don't know what it could be. I even tried reinstalling firefox. And nothing. Maybe something is set wrong in the internet options section? I don't know. Any suggestions? My parents are all up in my face about trying to fix it (and I'm not the best at this particular type of thing...but compared to them I'm a computer God hah). Its running windows XP with 512 of ram. Any help would be great! thanks!

Kristin

Check for a proxy setting in the config of the browsers. Found this lastnight on my brother inlaws MAC. Didn't make sence, but it was there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom