Considering Mass Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham

In Runtime
Hey Guys,

I am considering getting about 500 GB worth of storage in SATA I (150 MB/s) hard drives by segate this coming xmas. The problem is that I am scared that SATA I will lose support for whatever motherboard i plan to purchase along with a socket m athlon processor in 2006.

Is there any reason to believe that buying such a format will be extinct any time soon and lead to me wasting xmas cash?

thanks for any help! i want to get mad vids and music for my comp.

Don't buy a $340 (500GIG SATA HDD)

You could buy (2) 250GIG SATA HDD's for $207 and set them up in RAID 0. The performance would be a lot better in RAID 0 and you'd save over $100 dollars.

Graham said:
Is there any reason to believe that buying such a format will be extinct any time soon and lead to me wasting xmas cash?

no...SATA is the new generation of hard drives that will replace IDE

If your worried about the new boards having Sata2 then don't. They will come with Sata1 connectors as well.

Yes but sometimes the controller card that is built into the motherboard isn't compatable with the other card. That can lead to issues when trying to read the drives....

I plan to get two on-sale 250 GB seagates from newegg.com since they are surprisingly cheaper than the 200 GBs which i originally planned to get.

From what i understand SATA 150 MB/s is a huge improvement over IDE speeds. I have read a few things saying SATA II's 3 GB/s is a questionable claim over its predecessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom