system wont boot to windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

240sxdrifter

Solid State Member
I have windows xp sp2. Everytime i try to boot in to windows normally it goes through post, then the windows xp screen pops up and seems to boot but after a few seconds the pc just haults and reboots by itself. when i restore to an earlier time point it seems to boot fine but when i go to restart the pc again it just does the same thing. any ideas why that would be happening? thx for help

wat do u mean quick repair .. i do a restore but nothing helps. I even updated my chipset and bios to latest version. I have a8n-sli deluxe mobo with amd 4800+ cpu. it still wont boot to windows just goes up to the point with the win xp screen and the little scrolling bar. but it does boot in to safe mode.

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

k i will try that also just wanted to let u know its doing some strange things i just did a system restore again to a few days back in safe mode, it restarted, started to boot, after the windows xp logo with the scrolling bar dissappeard a blue screen came up with a Machine_Check _Exception error. I rebooted and then clicked to boot with the last known working configuration and some how it succefully booted in to normal windows. i have a feeling if i go to reboot again it will hault again.

Are you running AMD?

CAUSE
This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected and reported an unrecoverable hardware error to Windows XP. To do this, the processor used the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of some Pentium Pro processors. The following factors may cause this error message: • System bus errors
• Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code (ECC) problems
• Cache errors in the processor or hardware
• Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
• Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
• Vendor-specific detected hardware problems

A machine check exception occurs when Windows XP and your hardware platform cannot recover from a hardware error so that the system can continue to run successfully and reliably. More specific diagnosis of machine check exceptions is difficult, and there is no general solution. Contact your hardware manufacturer or a computer hardware technician for help with troubleshooting this issue.

Machine check exceptions are frequently caused by one of the following conditions: • You are running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. For example, you are overclocking the processor or bus. We recommend that you run your hardware at the manufacturer-rated speeds.
• Noisy power, overstressed power strips, outmatched power supplies and failing power supplies can destabilize your computer. Make sure that you have a stable, reliable power supply to your computer.
• Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans may damage your computer. Make sure that your cooling devices are all working.
• You have damaged memory or memory that is not the correct type for your computer. If you recently changed the memory configuration, revert to the previous configuration to determine what is wrong. Make sure that you are using the correct memory for your computer.

yea i am running amd 4800+ cpu and its not over clocked .. wat should i do about this MCE? and should i still do the quick repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom