Alright guys, ordering tonight, need your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
003 said:
Why can't you get anything else? Out of the two, the X800 is better.
I can get something else, if the performance is better and the price is lower:D

Besides PZERO, nobody is saying WHY. That means more to me than a simple recommendation.

what is SM3.0 and why would I need it? Will the X800 only be inferior to the 6600GT in applications where SM3.0 is needed? What applications need SM3.0?

rkf76 said:
what is SM3.0 and why would I need it? Will the X800 only be inferior to the 6600GT in applications where SM3.0 is needed? What applications need SM3.0?
The 6600GT won't run applications that require Shader Model 3 at a playable framerate, so it really makes no difference. People say that it will run it at 30-40fps. Well as I said, that is not playable. 72+ is playable, and 60 is bearable. And BTW, there won't be anything that REQUIRES Shader Model 3 for a long long time to come. Everything will have SM2 fallback. There currently no games that need it, but there are two I know of that have the option of using it. the first is far cry, and the second is half life 2:lost coast.

That's exactly what I always said...by the time the newer rendering instructions of DX9c are implemented, the nvidia cards that support them won't be able to run them the way most people would want them to run...therefore buying a 6600GT because is has such and such instruction set is silly since a 6600GT can't utilize it muchlike a 6600 vanilla can't use the 256MB VRAM it is equipped with properly

Same with K8s...you sure as hell don't buy them because they can "use 64 bit instruction sets" because they'll be obsolete by the time 64 bit registers are in widespread use

I believe a Saphire x800GTO2 falls into your price range but don't quote me on that...it's an absolute steal for what you pay for...this forum is heavily biased and will most likely favour nvidia but the GTO2 is guranteed to flash and unlock to XTPE speeds which will slaughter any other card in that price range

003 said:
The 6600GT won't run applications that require Shader Model 3 at a playable framerate, so it really makes no difference. People say that it will run it at 30-40fps. Well as I said, that is not playable. 72+ is playable, and 60 is bearable. And BTW, there won't be anything that REQUIRES Shader Model 3 for a long long time to come. Everything will have SM2 fallback. There currently no games that need it, but there are two I know of that have the option of using it. the first is far cry, and the second is half life 2:lost coast.
ah, so the SM3.0 issue really isn't one. ok, so which would be your choice?

gaara said:
That's exactly what I always said...by the time the newer rendering instructions of DX9c are implemented, the nvidia cards that support them won't be able to run them the way most people would want them to run...therefore buying a 6600GT because is has such and such instruction set is silly since a 6600GT can't utilize it muchlike a 6600 vanilla can't use the 256MB VRAM it is equipped with properly

Same with K8s...you sure as hell don't buy them because they can "use 64 bit instruction sets" because they'll be obsolete by the time 64 bit registers are in widespread use

I believe a Saphire x800GTO2 falls into your price range but don't quote me on that...it's an absolute steal for what you pay for...this forum is heavily biased and will most likely favour nvidia but the GTO2 is guranteed to flash and unlock to XTPE speeds which will slaughter any other card in that price range
I'll look into that one, thanks for the suggestion. So given the two cards I listed, which would be the better choice, performance and value wise?

I just installed a 6800GS in my brothers PC. It was an early christmas present. I also bought him Call of Duty 2 which, i gave to him early too... lol - Im terrible at waiting...

I'm really impressed with the 6800GS. Incredible performance for a $200 card. CoD 2 plays like a dream... Very...very nice card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom