Computer freezes and black outs due to certain programs and 'drag and drop'

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectemuragenda

Baseband Member
Hello everyone,

I've just recently setup RAID 0 and now I appear to have a problem with drag and drop functions on my desktop and elsewhere. I have already viewed a drag and drop thread but now there is an additional problem thrown into the mix.

There are some programs that cause my computer to either freeze or simply black out the screen completely. Namely Ares, GiPomoveonboot, Final Fantasy XI and and a couple of others.

The oddest aspect of the drag and drop problem is that it only affects my computer when I drag something over the 'my computer' icon. If i remember correctly is has randomly happened at other times when I was moving something into the recycling bin. I have removed the 'my computer' desktop icon while working out this issue.

Also, i have another IDE hard drive that is extremely slow to load if it will load at all... I have disconnected it for the time being.

Any help with this problem would be well appreciated, thanks in advance guys!

Also I'd like to include that I just tried running in safemode and I didn't experience any of the problems mentinoed above.

EDIT: Here's a copy of the hijack report

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:12:20 PM, on 12/18/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\progra~1\mcafee\MCAFEE~1\masalert.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee\mcafee antispyware\massrv.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Jrob\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [_AntiSpyware] c:\progra~1\mcafee\MCAFEE~1\masalert.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1134803081921
O16 - DPF: {6E5A37BF-FD42-463A-877C-4EB7002E68AE} (Housecall ActiveX 6.5) - http://us-housecall.trendmicro-europe.com/housecall/applet/html/native/x86/win32/activex/hcImpl.cab
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee AntiSpyware Service - McAfee, Inc. - c:\progra~1\mcafee\mcafee antispyware\massrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

The hard drives are a new installation. The IDE hard drive is was installed about a week prior to the RAID and I didn't experience these problems.

However, since then I attempted to boot with the IDE hard drive and experienced the same problem, using the the RAID as another storage drive, I didn't attempt to use the IDE HD alone. Hope this helps.

I created a disk array using 2 80 gig HItachi drives in Raid 0, (i've tried altering the status from both HD's set to 'boot' and having the first and second HD's set to Stripe 0 and Stripe 1. The block size is set to 64k.

Windows began to set up normally after this, but the problems began immediately afterward.

Was there a step regarding the setup that I lfailed to mention?

My system setup is AMD Venice 3000 1.8 cpu with a K8T800Pro Chipset MOBO, 1 gig of Ram from CompUSA and a stick of 512 Crucial memory. Also using an Nvidia 5900 ultra video card.

I have tested the computer w/o the stick of crucial memory to no avail, I may attempt to boot the computer using only the IDE Hard drive momentarily.

go to start, run, type msconfig, go to startup and see what is running....is everything checked?

In the BOOT.INI tab /safeboot, /noguiboot, /bootlog, /basevideo, and /sos are unchecked. All of the boxes are checked in the startup tab.

Earlier I attempted to restart the computer using Diagnostic Startup and Selective Startup in the general tab to isolate the problem but each option rendered the same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom