FPS Degradation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshSB

Geek Squad
Is it normal or even possible for FPS to degrade over time, say you play your computer for 2 hours, is it possible for the FPS to go slower trhan when you first booted it up those 2 hours later?

Yes. And it can be caused by a number of factors.
The most likely culprit is your RAM. Dual channel memory configuations are all I use and I buy the best RAM I can afford. I don't know what you're using, but I'd take a look at the RAM you have.
Next in line is whatever is running in the background on your PC while you're playing the game. messenger programs, firewalls, AV software (did I mention Spyware?)
Have you defragmented in the last week? Dumped the cache? the list goes on.
By the way, what games are doing this, are they monsters like HL2 and Fear? These games use huge amounts of resources and it gets worse as you play them.
Anyway, take a look at your setup and also consider the current health of the rig. My son has a high-end Alienware that will sometimes slow down playing low-end games, and the reason for this is that he dosen't take care of it. (brat that he is...lol)
Good luck, keep us posted.

I have valueselect Corsair RAM, I will be doing a big comp building job in january and rake in some cash that i will probably use to buy better ram and a better PSU, I get it sometimes with UT2k4 and WoW, I have an x2 processor, 6800GT video card, anyways, you put me at ease a bit, couple questions:

How do you dump the cache, I have defragged a bit ago, plan on doing it right now in fact, I do run Nortan antivirus as i play, but since its an X2 system I do not feel the lag, Thanks.

-Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom