Confused about benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ever_thus

Baseband Member
I'm trying to find out the specs on my system to identify performance bottlenecks that could benefit from an upgrade. Since I suspect the guy who sold me my laptop changed the insides the manual isn't going to help. So I downloaded a benchmark program from SISoftware and ran it. This has thrown into total confusion.

The main problem is RAM, which I want to replace. I want to know that I'm going to get RAM whose speed will be wasted on my system. The manual states that my FSB (which he can't have changed) is 333 MHz. The benchmark sometimes tell me 210, sometimes 122. And when I run a general system benchmark it reports my FSB as 69 MHz!

I should mention that my HD is (probably) about 4200RPM and has to deal with a page file of some 200MB; I don't know if that affects the results. The CPU is (almost certainly) 1.73 GHz, although SISoftware (and the System applet in the Control Panel) sometimes report it at as low as 339 MHz and mostly at 751 MHz.

What is going on here? Enlighten me please.

Intel Pentium M 1.73 GHz 367 MHz (why the two figures?, 504 MB RAM (8 MB are added to the video RAM). Is there anything more I can get from this applet?

Warez Monster said:
what is 367 mhz?

The CPU.

The CPU will change frequency depending on the workload. So no workload and it does not run at full speed. This is what they do to save power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom