Christmas Gift Help; new video card or monitor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateCRW

Solid State Member
Currently I have the following setup;

CPU - Intel Pentium 4, 2600 MHz
MOTHERBOARD - Intel Bay Field D865GBF
RAM - 1024MB DDR
VIDEO CARD - ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB
SOUND CARD - Integrated
HARD DRIVE - 160GB Western Digital
DVD BURNER/CD BURNER/DVD ROM -
DVD ROM - 16X48
MONITOR - SAMSUNG CRT753DF 17"

For Christmas, I intend to purchase a nice sound card and speaker system (which is already been bought) and I would also like to upgrade either my video card (direly needed) or my monitor (needed too). I figure, while I know much about computers, not quite sure what I should get. I've narrowed my choices between;

ATI X800XL AGP 256MB ALL IN WONDER SERIES (VIDEO CARD)

OR

VEIWSONIC 19" LCD

From what I comprehend, the video card is a better upgrade, but, what do you guys feel would be the better choice. Personally, I do not play many games, but an occasional game is implied. I love to watch movies and such, which draws me towards the video card. Though, do the TV features cost money? Which features if any?

As far as monitors go, I feel that is a decent monitor and a great price, but will it suffice with a not so great video card? Personally, I hate CRT's, but perhaps, I can live with it another year.

I was also curious, apon purchasing this video card, what differences will I notice? Any right off the bat?

Thanks all!

:cool:

get neither.

do you have pci-e slot on your motherboard? if so , get a 7800GT. its like 299 at newegg.com.

way better than the video card you mentioned.

okay, if he has a 9200, obviously there is no PCI-E slot... and you should upgrade to a geforce 6800GS or GT, what is your budget? the advantage of a new GPU is that you will get better frame rate, and performance. You do not gain noticable performance with a better monitor.

I would prefer the x800xl because of the TV-Tuner/Radio features, in addition to be on sale from 449.99 to 349.99 CND.

HOLY C**P

THATS SUPER OVERPRICED

you know what there are tons of video cards out there that supports tv output

and like guitar freak said a 6800GS or 6600GT would be way better than the X800XL in terms of the price/quality ratio. just make sure you get the agp version instead of the pci-e version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom