changing mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
I'm planning to change my motherboard. So can I just change the motherboard and leave all the other parts as it is? And if I do change it, is there something I need to do first?, or do I just plug the HD, cd-roms, and power supply into it.

ok, take out the RAM, VGA, Soundcard, unsocket the CPU and HS/F, Power supply cables, hdd cables, ide cables, ect. Unscrew the screws holding down the mobo, lift up, put down, mount new motherboard, make sure you have all the mounts in and firm. some can come out when taking the mobo out. just mount, screw, n plug everything back in. if you have AS5 or other thermal paste on your CPU you'll have to clean it and put more on. But if your using the thermal pad don't worry about it. then you should be done.

It depends - you must make sure that your new motherboard has the correct socket for your current CPU, supports the same FSB as your current CPU and so forth.

Also check things such as the presence of enough expansion slots and drive interfaces (ATA, SATA etc).

Providing all those are fine, it's a case of taking the entire thing out of the case and swopping everything out. There isn't, as far as I know, a set order to do things, but make sure you are well earthed throughout the entire process as to eliminate as much static as possible.

Just use common sense, make sure you know what all the plugs and cables are for (Label them if it makes it easier). Personally I advise putting the CPU, Heatsink and Ram in prior to putting the motherboard into the case, but that is just personal preference.

I'm sure you know the rest of the drill, if something doesn't want to fit don't force it, check pins are lined up and so forth.

Good luck, just hope your heatsink fits better than mine did - I had an XP 2000+ and a heatsink latch that didn't want to fit. The instructions read if it won't go, apply pressure with a flatbladed screwdriver - not something I was too keen on with £200 worth of kit in the vacinity!

Oh, and a final note - you may or may not need to reinstall your operating system and so forth, so make sure you have a backup handy. I've had experiences when systems have worked following a major component upgrade, and others not.

John

I'm also changing the processor by the way, since the new motherboard came with it. And why would I need to reinstall the OS, if I'm using the same HD?

Changing major components will mean new motherboard and chipset drivers - these won't be on your machine when you first boot and you may well get beep codes and/or error messages.

You might get away with it, but you should bear this in mind and take precautions. Correct me if I'm wrong by all means, I just wouldn't like anybody to lose their data in case of a problem.

Finally, if you use XP you may need to contact support, as I believe XP, when installed, checks the CPU, motherboard and other various configurations. If these alter dramatically XP may refuse to work as it "thinks" it has been installed on another system.

John

b1gapl said:
I'm also changing the processor by the way, since the new motherboard came with it. And why would I need to reinstall the OS, if I'm using the same HD?

Windows wont recognize the new mobo. Just do a repair install. That will reinstall the OS with out messing up your current files. Make sure you do the repair INSTALL, and not the repair console.

Thanks for clearing that up ced, I just recall having trouble some years ago and since then have backed up and reformatted after any major upgrades.

John

Cobalt said:
Thanks for clearing that up ced, I just recall having trouble some years ago and since then have backed up and reformatted after any major upgrades.

John

yes, it's best to install a fresh copy of xp. that way...u wouldn't end up getting issues in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom