SATA vs IDE HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hi all, my old 75gb Western Digital HDD seems to be dying on me after many good years of use. I notice my motherboard supports SATA and ATA 100, and I'm not sure exactly what the benefits are, if any. I am looking at a 160gb Seagate Barracuda drive that is SATA.

What is the difference between IDE, SATA, and ATA 100?

Would it be wise for me to purchase a SATA over IDE?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm pretty much old school and have only used standard IDE HDD's.

ATA hard drive run on IDE channels and SATA hard drives run on SATA channels. SATA is faster with 150mb/s transfer rate against the 100 mb/sec of ATA100

SATA is far superior because the modern SATAs get 3GB/S using SATA2 Technology.

I've even seen people say there is SATA3 at 5GB/S but I'm not sure if thats true.

The old SATA is 150MB/S

Also the SATA cables (top right) are thinner than IDE cables (left), allowing for better airflow.

IDE-SATA%20cables.jpg

Better performance, much sleeker cables and the newer of the two technologies in question - SATA every time. Put it this way, buy a SATA drive now and you can probably transfer it to a new PC should you get one within the next year or two.

Just go with the more futureproof technology to get your moneys worth is my advice, especially since (where I am from anyway) SATA drives are no more than ATA drives.

John

Thanks all! I'll go SATA all the way.

Are SATA powered from the motherboard or the typical 4-pin power connector?

Seagate Baracuda 160GB SATA a decent drive?

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom