RAID questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebleakness

Banned
I am going to create a RAID0 between two 120gb SeaGate Barracudas and i have some questions. Should i intall the OS onto one hard drive without the other one plugged in? If so, then do connect the other one and create the RAID and after that, finish loading everything else? I would like to know this because i was going to do it tomorrow. :D Thanks

RAID 0 implements a striped disk array, the data is broken down into blocks and each block is written to a separate disk drive

I/O performance is greatly improved by spreading the I/O load across many channels and drives

Best performance is achieved when data is striped across multiple controllers with only one drive per controller

No parity calculation overhead is involved

Very simple design

Easy to implement

Ive been thinking about what happens if a drive fails. I was wondering because if i installed the OS onto the first had drive only, that if the other one failed during the RAID0, i would still have the OS on the system. What is the chance of a drive really failing? I dont really think i need a back up since i wont have too much data too begin with.

thebleakness said:
Ive been thinking about what happens if a drive fails. I was wondering because if i installed the OS onto the first had drive only, that if the other one failed during the RAID0, i would still have the OS on the system. What is the chance of a drive really failing? I dont really think i need a back up since i wont have too much data too begin with.

I don't think you understand the Concept here. With any RAID you need At least two Drives. You cannot put the OS on one drive, the Data for everything including the OS is split between two drivesor more.
I don't know statistics on what drive failure is, but you should have back ups especially with RAID 0 because if one drive fails, you cannot recover the information on them. Therefore All Data including the OS is totally lost.

That link was perfect. I understood what was happening in RAID0 but had some questions about it. After seeing this, im going to go with a RAID1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom