Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebleakness

Banned
Help needed with DFI

Ok, i have a problem. I took my time and plugged everything into my motherboard. All four power connectors, cpu, ram, heatsink, gpu. When i go to turn it on, the only two LEDs that light up are the stand by and the DRAM power LED. Nothing turns on, no fans, lights on the psu, nothing. Ive tried the onboard power switch and that doesnt help either. It just doesnt boot up. This is my setup:

DFI NF4 Ultra-D LANPARTY
Opteron 148
2x 120gb Seagate barracudas in RAID0
eVGA 7800GT w/ copper heatsink
Zalman 9500 cpu cooler
Xion II case (it was on sale)
2 x 1gb G. Skill Extreme Series RAM
OCZ powerstream 520W psu
asus DVD burner

Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't freak out, but if it were me, I'd be looking at the motherboard to see if I had a bad one. I've been the unfortunate receipient of dead MOBO's more than once. Otherwise, I'd have to see it to know for sure. Is the PS good? Just a thought.

I dont think the psu is bad because its suppling power to light the two LEDs. I tried to clear the cmos and that didnt work either. How would i check to see if i had a bad mobo? Thanks for the help.

When it comes to power supplies - it could be anything - just because the lights turn on doesn't mean the psu is fine.

Best way to check it out - buy a new psu ... local stores sell them for around $16.00.

Next try to rule out everything else... unplug everything (cdroms, hdds, floppys) and only have mobo plugged in.

Remove any other cards connected to the mobo - try with a different video card.

something could be causing a short somewhere... or simply a bad MOBO.

And something that has happened to me in the past - i had a mobo that wouldn't do anything... read the manual more carefully and it was as easy as changing a jumper set for a P4 rather than a Celeron. Figures.

Good luck

Ok, i tried my other psu that the case came with and it booted up first time. So this means that my ocz powerstream is defective or something isnt set up right. Do you have any ideas concerning the power supply?

I don't think there really should be any 'setup' when it comes to the PSU. From what i got from the OCZ website is:
" 5 year warranty backed by OCZ’s exclusive PowerSwap™ replacement program.*** No more endless return-for-repair loops!"
from http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_powerstream_power_supply

If your PSU has the PowerFlex Technology - i would make sure you have the voltage settings set correctly. The VCore should be at 3.3v, the other two should be 5v and 12v. Other than that - i suggest getting a replacement.

I checked that out. I dont no where the voltages should be set at because the lights never turn on. Even when they were at factory settings it didnt work. I pmed an OCZ tech guy on another forum to see what he has to say and if he doesnt have any ideas im going to RMA it. This sucks because im at a standstill because my other psu doesnt have enought power connectors to power everything. grrr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom