Another problem with my roomie's PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avalanch3 said:
make sure the disk is clean...and minimal scrathes....if that still doesnt work...try a diffrent cd drive
Try a different CD Rom drive. Even if it does me having to temperaly installing your drive into your rommies PC.
Like I had to do that with my Sister's BF's PC last night.

Also I normaly keep a CD Image my Windows Xp on my hard drive as I find that Win Xp CD back ups seem to deterate after about 3 to 6 months.

Bruce said:
The problem there is that it normally not just one file, But a group of them, when you are having this problem during an installation. However thank you for the link. I remember that one when it's just one or two files that have gone AWOL.

Thanks, Harper and Ste. At this very moment, I pulled out the RAM and battery for the motherboard and am letting them sit for about 5 minutes so the CMOS can reset and so I can start fresh. I have another CD-ROM on hand for that and it's near the box, waiting for power and IDE strength.

This computer's been an interesting tale. First, newegg.com sent the incorrect RAM for his computer, assembly was interesting. He didn't mount his PCI-E video card properly (Didn't get the little notch that's supposed to hit the gap in the card) which I fixed, and then he set up the wires incorrectly for his power, reset, and hdd led. Now, Windows is being a bastard. Fun fun fun.

Oh well, thanks to y'alls suggestions, I'll hopefully be able to get him up and running. I've never had these Windows install problems before and that's what perturbed me heavily.

Thanks, everyone. I'll report back in whether it works or fails.

All right, new hdd put in. tried to install windows, but when it is about to start windows installation, i get the blue screen of death. assistance is requested! i'm in dire need!

Ugh that chain o problems really sucks, I had something similar to that at one point and it turned out to be a corrupt hard drive. If youve tried multiple cds, and cd drives then you could have a bigger problem on your hands.

If you have a backup hard drive put it in and try to install windows, if it works then ou know what the problem is. At least it will eliminate one possibility.

Well, the hdd we first put in the box was corrupt. So, the replacement, a maxtor sata 160gig, doesn't want to work now =/ -=cry=-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom