What is a server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
I was told to host some modern games that are dedicated to rent or build a server. My first question is what is a server and what does a server have in it thats different from desktops. Also to host a day of defeat source server what kind of system could i build to run one, maybe two of those dedicated servers for $1,000.

I server is the same as a PC except it usually uses different processers. AMD ones use the Opteron socket 940 and Intel use Xeons. Also the motherboards are sometimes different as they often support multiple CPUs and a lot of memory, I've seen one on newegg that supports 64 GBs of it.

I am presuming the original question wanted to ask "what makes a server, a server"...

It really depends on what you want to do exactly. You can optimize the "server" to do whatever you want to do. If it's some sort of data/file server, then you probably need really fast HDDs. And you RAM should be VERY reliable for example (ECC). Since this is a h/w forum, I am assuming that you are only talking about the h/w aspect of it.

For a brief intro to servers, read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server

The qualities of a good server include a good CPU, preferably a socket 940 opteron, two or more very fast hard drives in raid 5, usually 10,000-15,000rpm scsi 68 or 80 pin, and at least 2gb of buffered ECC ram.

The qualities of a good server include a good CPU, preferably a socket 940 opteron, two or more very fast hard drives in raid 5, usually 10,000-15,000rpm scsi 68 or 80 pin, and at least 2gb of buffered ECC ram.
Hugely overkill in most all cases...you'd need that kind of horsepower for a high traffic webserver or a large LAN client server

For example...I believe this forum itself is run on a Celeron...the load and intended use of the server will dictate the parts

I think he just wants to know what to build as a gaming server. I on the other hand just want to run one on my current PC :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom