Building an external hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikitaha

Baseband Member
Hi, i've read recently that u can build an external hdd juz by putting it inside a ext hdd casing and connecting it to the com...

so i've a few questions...

1. when choosing the suitable casing, do u juz considered the specs like 3'5 inches and USB 2.0 and u can fit in any 3'5 inches HDD??

2. when connecting to the com, will the com recognise the full size?? i'm asking as com wif old bios cannot recognise the full size in of internal HDD but is it also the same way for external HDD built using this method??

Thanks for the answers in advance.. :)

Ridlyn said:
I've never heard of building you're own external hdd.

Ya you can, All you do is buy an external Enclosure and buy a 3.5 Harddrive

1. You will want any External 3.5 compatible HD case. USB and firewire connections would be best, they are pretty common.

2. How Old is this computer? You may need to flash your BIOS.

3. When you go to buy a HD you will be looking for any 3.5 in Internal Harddrive.

Thanks alot... my PC is 3 years old and i can't find an update for the bios... so i'm not sure whether how much my com can recognise.. do u noe anyway of checking it??

It's 80 gb now.. so u mean there is still a limited even when i use the ext HDD??

My Mobo is called Compaq Presario and the bios version is
Field Value DMI BIOS Version 686Y2 v2.10

So it will most probably recongnise more up to 250 gb? because i'm going to buy that size?? thanks alot for the help really appreciate them.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom