Dell motherboard problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwurfel

Baseband Member
Hey everyone. I needed to get a new motherboard for my Dimensions 4100. I got a direct replacement for it off of the internet. The only difference is that the old motherboard had version A04 BOIS and the new one is A08. FYI, the model number (if it means anything) is DS/N PR-097UJY-12461-093-00LH. My problem is that after installing the new motherboard, the DELL screan pops up and is there for about 2 mins before anything happens. By the way, the only things hooked up is one CD-Rom, one blank HD, and the monitor card. When booting from my Windows CD (Full version) it gets all the way to the first screan (ie. Press enter to begin setup on a blue screan) then it freezes. I am not sure if I need to update the BIOS or not but that is what I am in the process of doing right now but the file for the 4100 Ver. A08 BIOD update is not working. Do you think that is the problem? I don't know what to do. If I can't get it figured out I'm going to have fun bashing the face of this computer in and I am almost there. Please help. Thanks.

Brian

By the way, I formated the HD on my buddys computer and gave it the drive letter of Z for the time being. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.

Remove the watch battery on the motherboard and plug from the PSU. Hold down the power button for about a minute to discharge the system. Put everything back, then try again. Post results please.

That, by the way, will re-set the bios to factory defaults. The drive letter will be determined by windows at set-up. Make sure you are well grounded, use an anti-static wrist to puter to ground or wear rubber gloves (that is what I do. 500 pair of blue mechanics gloves at Auto Zone cost $12) Warnig, Will Robinson!!! Do not flash that bios wiht the wrong update....If you do, gently remove to all the components from that new mobo and then use it as a frisby!!!!!!

Grounding yourself doesnt do shit. I have been in this field for years and have yet to see me or another tech ground themself. Its no longer the early 90's.

SHAWN said:
Grounding yourself doesnt do shit. I have been in this field for years and have yet to see me or another tech ground themself. Its no longer the early 90's.

Try telling that to my boss who got quite a nasty jolt when dismantling a power switch. Still makes me laugh today....

"turn it off, turn it off....It burns!!!" :eek:

Got to the "Leave partition the way it is" screen and froze on me. Anybody wana watch someone drag a desktop behind their truck all over town???

SHAWN said:

I slide across the carpet first then rub a balloon on my head. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom