x2 3800+

Status
Not open for further replies.
threw together my new rig yesterday.
Lanparty UT SLI-D NF4
athlon x2 3800+
2x512mb OCZ gold pc3200
gigabyte 6200tc (yeah not exactly brilliant but i had exactly enough money left for one of these :rolleyes: )
80gb caviar se
480w antec true blue
tt soprano

just can't wait til its burned in so i can stretch its legs out a bit. did some tests including a run of super pi to 32m which came in at 40 minutes (not brilliant but remember it's still being burned in so no OC) :). encoded an 8gb dvd to 4.7gb in 15 minutes. i'm doing a few tweaks and i'm going to run super pi again. any suggestions for overclocking, i don't know exactly what i mean by that but what the hell just post a comment. i'm gonna shoot for 2.4ghz on stock

edit: just did a run to 1m in 41 seconds now running to 32m again.
32m in 37 mins 34 seconds

hell i dunno if i have to :). ive been running prime95 (two instances, one on each core) for about 16 hours the highest temp on stock cooling is 47 degrees c but average at max load is 44. even with the two instances of p95 i was able to watch a dvd full screen in surround without a problem. last night i played a few games (only demos because i am VERY VERY POOR after building this) and encoded another movie as a test. assigned the movie to one core and the game to the other. lol btw it was splinter cell i was playing, anyway game played fine and the movie encoded in 20 minutes.....from one core!!!

assigned the movie to one core and the game to the other

how do you do this

You cheaped out on the video card. I would have cut back on the CPU and put more into the video card. Nice setup otherwise.

i chose to go cheaper on the GPU because i have never been a big PC gamer and it will take a while to change that so i figured i could benefit from getting a more powerful CPU seeing as i do a lot of encoding and CPU intensive stuff. mlr: if you use the windows task manager it allows you to assign processor affinity. dual core cpu's show up as two processors. find the two processes you want to seperate (generally easier if you got to the applications tab, right click and select "go to process") right click on the process and then click "set affinity". assign it to for instance "processor 0" and the other to "processor 1".

edit: by the way i'm australian and a 7800gt isn't $300 here its more like $700-$800. i was planning on getting a 6800gs and later throwing in another for sli.

i've been going with some "gentle" overclocking. now at 2.2ghz with a 9:10 divider on the ram to keep it at ddr400. i would just keep it at 1:1 but i'm thinking of sending the ram back because it might be faulty. last night i got errors in memtest at stock speed :( but strangely with the cpu overclocked and the ram back at stock speed it's stable now, so i'm confused. voltages are looking good almost perfectly stable at 2.2ghz with stock voltage but i got an error in prime95 after 13 minutes so i put it up 0.025 from 1.35 to 1.375 and it's fine now. temps look good still on stock cooling peaking at 43 degrees (rarely) averaging 41-42 max load.
super pi
32M: 34m 16s :D
1M: 40s
going to keep it at 2.2 for a while until i'm sure it's rock solid stable. will keep spamming the forum with boring updates lol :p. i'm happy so far, **** 2.2ghz is the 4200+ so thats an $130 au i've gotten out of my cpu. if i make 2.4ghz then that's equivelant to a 4600+ and almost another $500 au.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom