Crazy XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lostman

Daemon Poster
So my brother is having this problem with XP where everytime he opens certain programs they close right away.

I have the computer now and when I try to open virus scan it opens for a second and closes. this also happens with msconfig.

has anybody heard of this happening and where you able to fix it?

Well, I'm windering if this will close also :amazed:
I would look in the registry first and determine what spyware is running upon boot and remove it....then reboot and follow Placebo's suggestion.

-Mike

I've never heard of this problem and I don't know XP and spyware to well, but what happens if he boots into safe mode of XP? Would that disable any spyware that is running or just disable hardware stuff?

good question. I'll try that. I've run all the spyware proggies and it found a bunch, but it was shareware and it only finds it and doesn't remove it. :(

That's a new one to me Lostman. I gotta go with the rest of the crew as far as their suggestions go. But let us know what ya find:confused:

I booted it into safe mode and that did the trick. I opened msconfig and turned off half of the crap that starts during startup and it's running fine now. So much spyware so little time. :)

you sure that they are spyware?
a virus can be in the startup folder and can prevent programs to run.
just because you deleted the startup key doesn't mean that you got rid of the virus/spyware.
do a google search for the .exe to see what your dealing with,so you can get it out of the computer all together.

if i can't run a anivirus program,i check the task manager to see something thats running that should't be there and google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom