new computer now complete - ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLLLLSiNz

Solid State Member
ok so first of all my mobo is
DFI nF4X Infinity Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4-4X ATX AMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136162

i put in 1 stick of a gb of ram (pc3200). i checked in the "system" in the control panel and under the place where it says "computer" it said "AMD athlon 64. 2.41 ghz. 1gb ram". after that i put my old 256mb pc2700 in the 2nd slot to test it out. everything ran perfect, BUT now under "computer" it only says 1.25 gb of ram. whats the problem and how do i fix it if it even is a problem?

thanks for all of your help!!

If you had 1gb (1024mb) of RAM and added 256mb you get 1.25gb (1024+245 =1269~1250). I am not sure if this is what you were asking or is it completly blank except for the amount of total system RAM?

yea i know i have 1.25 gb ram now. but my question is, why does the other info not show up? like my cpu and speed and stuff.. cuz it showed it when i only had the 1gb stick in by itself.

FYI - s754 A64's will down clock your memory to DDR333 if you use more then 1 doube-sided ram moduel... besides the fact that your second stick is already DDR333 pc2700.

You will gain performance by removing your second pc2700 ram stick and just use the single 1gb pc3200.

jolancer said:
FYI - s754 A64's will down clock your memory to DDR333 if you use more then 1 doube-sided ram moduel... besides the fact that your second stick is already DDR333 pc2700.

You will gain performance by removing your second pc2700 ram stick and just use the single 1gb pc3200.

can anyone confirm this?

EviLLLLSiNz said:
can anyone confirm this?

yes, i can.

i found that in my research befor i bought ram for my own 3700+ socket 754.

Thats why you sometimes see idiotic reviews of ram sometimes(at Newegg for example)... that say there pc3200 only clocks at pc2700 and they advise others not to by that ram... Its just that there installing it on a s754 AMD and they dont know there Default CPU limitations.
---------------------

Most motherboards will alow you to clock 2 Double-sided Ram Moduels back up to pc3200 speed. But i believe you wont beable to do that if you install more then 2 moduels. Either that or it would probably be realy unstable.

my Gigabtye GA-K8NE allows that, to Manually clock the ram... although i dont need to, i use 1 single 1GB Ram stick.

If someone used 2x256mbs ram though for example - those smaller sized Moduels can commonly be Single-sided, and they will not downclock in a pair on s754... but then again, no one probably usess such small ram moduels nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom