AGP Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

0311dd

Beta member
Sorry if this question is really rediculous, however, i am no genius when it comes to computers. Right now I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RZ14G(UV) model. I currently have a Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB graphics card. I want to upgrade my graphics card and I have found several 256mb graphics cards that I could afford (around $200) The only problem i am having is figuring out what kind of AGP slot I have. The box on my radeon 9600 says it requires a AGP 4x/2x slot or an AGP 8x universal slot. So it definetly has to be one of those. Does anyone have any advice on how I can tell what kind of AGP slot I actually have? Also any suggestions of a 256mb graphics card for around 200 or less?

Here is the link for my model of computer.
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=PCVRZ14G&LOC=3

P.S. a SAPPHIRE 100142L Radeon X1300 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card would not work for me correct?

SAPPHIRE 100142L Radeon X1300 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card can't setup in your machine

more than likely you can unless you have a mobo with no agp slots or its old as hell which it doesnt sound like but if you want what you posted, you need a mobo with pci express 16x

Your comp has a x4 AGP slot.

The best card you could buy to put in it would be the eVGA Geforce 6800GT 256MB AGP. NewEgg has it for $284.00 + $5.00 Three Day Shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130203

Odds are that you'll need a bigger PSU to power the card. I'm not sure what size your PSU is, though, as Sony's specs are a bit vague. Open up your case (with the computer unplugged!) and measure the dimensions of your PSU.

I'd recommend getting at least a 400W.

WOW you guys are quick with the responses! Thanks for all the feedback. I like the eVGA 256-A8-N344-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card idea. I think I will save up a little while longer anf get that one. I read some of the reviews and sounds like there are some problems with the shaders. Either way it is better than what i have now. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom