Not open for further replies.

rotaryrudy

Solid State Member
Ive got a compaq presario SR1120NX specs are:

330 Intel celuron preocessor
512 MB 2700 DDRSD ram
80 GB 7200 rpm ultra dma hardrive
dvd and cd drive

Ive got the fastest comcast internet. I bought a steam account about a week ago and purchased CS, CS Zero, and DOD source. I can play CS fine on low settings but I still cant play DOD without it lagging so bad that the screen moves like every 5 seconds.

I dont know whats causing this and I dont know how to fix it. Is my computer realy not good enough to play DOD or is there something wrong with it.

please help.

rotaryrudy said:
so why is it lagging so bad when i play games and what can i do to fix it?

Not sure how upgradeable compaqs are :confused: . Your first move though would be getting as far away from the integrated graphics as possible; upgrading the gfx card for a start, and next probably the ram. cpu next, if you only have enough funds to build piece by piece. Though it'd probably just be easier to sell it off and build your own from scratch :rolleyes:

OK, your comp has noAGP slot for a graphics card, so you'll have to go with old school PCI.

The best you're gonna get is a Geforce FX5500 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Video Card. NewEgg has one from 3D Fuzion for $83 + $2.50 shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143032

If you are wanting to game, you're gonna need more RAM as well. NewEgg has a stick of 512MB from Patriot for $37.55 + $4.81 shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220026

So, for $127.86 you can turn your old computer into a decent low budget gaming system. Ih, it won't be a screamer by no means, but I think you'll get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

Not everyone has to have bleeding edge stuff to be happy with it.

also your celeron will hold you back alot with a 256k cache and low FSB and also what the cpu speed.If it matters the 128mb version of that card is the same thing but not much price diff.I had the in my old compaq persario 5838 (1999) and worked pretty good for the time, dont know about now but that is your only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom