Anit-Static Wrist Strap

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebleakness

Banned
Anti-Static Wrist Strap

I would just like to say thanks in advance. Thanks.

Today has been my second christmas is two days (computer parts are coming in) and i have one more to go. I realized that i forgot to buy a anti-static wrist strap. Could i build one out of some copper wire and then solder a copper alligator clip on the end? I dont really want to go and buy one because i have alot of electrical equipment at my house that i could build it with. Help would be appreciated.

You don't need one. Just make sure you ground yourself before touching any boards... you can do this easily by touching the case with both hands.

Note : Don't scuff your socks along the ground then touch your MOBO.

I was just wondering because its quite dry up were i live and alot of static electricity. I just dont want to do anything harmfull. Thanks for the help guys. Ill just be more carefull when i touch anything inside the computer.

You should get one if thats the case. If you don't, like the other guys said, just make sure you ground yourself or do anything that'll promote static buildup (like taking off your sweater or rubbing your socks on the ground while you're building it). I guess that any sort of conductor that can make contact with another conductor that's grounded would sucessfully ground you.

If you want to be really safe, wire that copper around your wrist like you said, and have a wire go to the ground on a wall outlet, however, MAKE SURE IT IS THE GROUND!!!!!

I am assuming you are in the US, therefore the ground is the bottom hole in a wall outlet, assuming it is a three prong wall outlet.

[+].....[+]
.....[-].....

the red is the ground and - in this picture. An outlet looks something like that, or whatever, just know the ground is the bottom hole and not one of the top two.

lazerman said:
If you want to be really safe, wire that copper around your wrist like you said, and have a wire go to the ground on a wall outlet, however, MAKE SURE IT IS THE GROUND!!!!!

I am assuming you are in the US, therefore the ground is the bottom hole in a wall outlet, assuming it is a three prong wall outlet.

[+].....[+]
.....[-].....

the red is the ground and - in this picture. An outlet looks something like that, or whatever, just know the ground is the bottom hole and not one of the top two.

Sounds very safe indeed :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom