Bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

X2Xtreme360

In Runtime
When I bootup, I have the 3 second countdown menu because that's the lowest I could get it to. I don't have two operating system I just have an alternate bootup logo.

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (bootscreen)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /KERNEL=kernel1.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Could I delete the one I don't want to use and have it just boot up from the one I want?

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (bootscreen)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /KERNEL=kernel1.exe

so then it just looks like that instead? Or will it hurt my bootup process so my PC won't boot at all? I just don't like the countdown.

go to start, run, type msconfig, go t boot.ini and click check all boot paths and remove the invalid one it finds.

well none of the path's are "invalid"... I just don't use the one bootup screen (the original one) and I don't want to have the option of having to chose between one. I just wan't it to go to the first one.

Msconfig: bootini tab: remove the os marker that you don't want to load....that is what Warez was trying to tell you.

X2Xtreme360 said:
well none of the path's are "invalid"... I just don't use the one bootup screen (the original one) and I don't want to have the option of having to chose between one. I just wan't it to go to the first one.

So you have a working dual boot pc? and you are wanting to change the boot order so that it goes to the second one instead right? If this is so, go to msconfig, boot.ini tab and highlight the second path, click on move up and then it will boot to that one instead first.

no no.... I have two bootup logo's (I use Style XP). So upon bootup I get the timeout page that says something like.

Boot from (bootup screen)
Boot from original bootup logo

I don't want that I only want to boot up from the logo that I chose but I dont want to have to wait for 3 seconds while it waits for a button to be pushed. I tried using 0 to disable it but by default it keeps going back to 3 seconds because it recognizes it as 2 different bootup logos.

I dont think you can get around this. I'm not 100% for sure but this is just a guess, when you made that boot screen it asked you if you wanted to backup the boot.ini file right? You probably said yes right? If so, try to use the option that you dont want to back your original boot.ini file and see what that gives you. Seems logical but you never know.

here is the thing about the boot.ini

if you mess it up, the OS will still boot. make a copy of the file. Don't use MSconfig. Copy it from the root of C (or what ever your main disk is) and name it something else. Then delete one of the records and set the timeout to 0. Then save the file and reboot. if it doesn't work, go back to the copy and try the other one.
the boot.ini is really only a helper, as the way the boot up works in XP, it's not needed for the system to boot.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom