OCZ Platinum EL 4x1024 MB Overclock Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty090

Baseband Member
Hey,
I picked up these 4 Gigs of OCZ Platinum EL memory PC3200 400Mhz.

Anyone know how far these can go while running stable?

Thanks,
I am still weeding through the millions of posts that have OCZ memory in them ha ha.

Smitty

Yeah anything over 2GB's kills windows, anyways a 512MB stick OC's the best, a 512*2 OC's decently and your pushing it with 2GB's your going to have a hard time OC'ing 4GB's if you ever get it to boot lol

Hmmm,
Maybe I'll just run the 2 gig at the moment then and jam the other 2 gigs in my 2nd system.

Sorry for the post.. as I kept reading through I see people get upset at the "How far can I OC XXXX."
I will try to kill this thread.
Thanks for the responses.

Smitty

hmmm......3 is to small

The Kraut said

I could be wrong but i think windows xp can only support up to 3 gigs at the moment.

UM no.............. my xp pro dual dual core opti system is running 6 gigs, i see alot of people claim that it is 3 gigs, but i have passed that many times, no it might be my xp pro, it is not a standard issue.

why the hell not?

why should i not have 6 gigs? I use a lot of apps that are memory and cpu hogs, and I run lots of copys of them at once. I.E. DVD Shrink, bullet proof ftp, etc. These days it is nice to have more then i need. Comes in very handy when playing games like bf2, fear, etc. I build a system to do one thing, run hella fast and do it well!

Turbo thats one nice system however I have one question. Where do you get 2gig memory sticks?

UM no.............. my xp pro dual dual core opti system is running 6 gigs, i see alot of people claim that it is 3 gigs, but i have passed that many times, no it might be my xp pro, it is not a standard issue.
Um no...if you're going to lie make sure you know what you're talking about

Windows XP supports 4GB of system memory which is accountable for both physical RAM and your virtual RAM pagefile dedicated from your hard drive. The only Windows operating systems that will support more will be server grade (eg Windows 2003) and must have the /PAE switch enabled...an option not availible in Windows XP regardless of version or service pack

Furthermore, even if I'm wrong and there is a way to crack the operating system to address more memory...your processor then becomes the bottleneck. 32 bit registers are only capable of addressing 2^32 (4 294 967 296) or 4GB of memory and there is NO way around this unless you increase your registers bitrate in which case you'd have to be running Windows x64 or another 64 bit operating system which you've already explicitly stated you haven't

Futhermore, you'd need 64 bit instruction sets to even take advantage of the extra memory otherwise it's just sitting there doing nothing and isn't even being recognized by the program in question, and since 64 bit applications are limited the added memory really serves little to no advantage...and since you basically just listed numerous applications above that are NOT 64 bit compliant you basically dug your own grave

Sure you HAVE 6GB maybe...but it's not doing you a whole lot of good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom