Been away for 6 months - want to run Fear/SS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueman118

Beta member
Hey guys, just found this forum, so hopefully you can all help me.

I´m in Barcelona, Spain right now, and have been away from the States for the past 6 months or so studying abroad. As a result, I haven´t had my main rig with me (try getting THAT through customs) and also haven´t been gaming at all. Que triste!

So I´ll be coming home at the end of January and will want to upgrade my system a bit to allow me to play the newest crop of games out there such as FEAR and the new Serious Sam game. Also Quake4, etc. etc.

I can´t remember all the details of my system, but here´s what I can recall:

MB: dont remember
CPU: Intel p4 3.06ghz 533fsb
1gb pc 3200 no-name RAM
Vid. Card: Radeon 9700pro

I´m mostly concerned with graphic display so I wont get into the sound card and other peripherals.

So, I know its an old system. I built it... two and a half years ago by this point. And I know it wont run the new crop of games. So what I´m wondering is: what needs upgrade most? I want to make sure I dont run into stupid bottlenecks. For instance, I´ve been looking at the GForce 7800GT which can be had for around 300 bucks. But if I get that, will my older CPU hold me back from seeing the improvements?

I´m afraid im way behind on current motherboards and CPUs. Could anyone give me a low-down?

So if anyone could suggest the minimum upgrade necessary to run things like FEAR at high-mediumish graphics I´d appreciate it. I´m basically figuring I´ll need a new Graphics card, Motherboard, and CPU. Hopefully this can be kept around 600-700 dollers. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance,

A few questions:

1) Do you think just updating the Ram and Vid. Card would be ok? Would I run into a bottleneck with the CPU?

2) Why the 6800GT and not the 7800GT? I must admit ignorance on alot of the intricacies of all these different models.

Ahh, I understand now. I do have AGP, but I figured that for the better graphics card I would have to upgrade the MoBo anyway, so getting a PCI-e card isn't really a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom