trying to choose the best CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontStealMyFish

Baseband Member
Im trying to decide on what processor to go for, i understand amd is coming out with their socket 939 cpu's within a month or so. Im trying to decide whether the newest intel is better or the newest amd. any ideas or facts would be helpful.
thanx

Your playing with fire if you jump on the newest chip everytime they are released. Not only does it cost you a ton, but you have to deal with limited support and a (ussually) poor choice of boards and chipsets.
Anyway, why not take a look at the 3.x Ghz from intel now, or the AMD 64? Both are hot and have a pretty extensive support in place.
My 2 cents.

I just want to get a motherboard that uses socket 939 because ill have more room for upgrading. they already got the amd64 basics down right? i just want to know , i wont be able to afford the cpu when it comes out anyhwo, i just want to know whats best thats coming out so i can plan what to buy. with intel and its 800FSB or amd and its 64 bit. of course im only speaking from what i know so far... so if u have any insights and other info id appreciate it too

With DDR2,16X graphics bus,FSB increase, and BTX board's. It really isnt a good time to up grade.Is true they upgrade stuff all the time.These are thing's worthwhile.

atx form factors will be around for quite some time, if i waited for everything to switch it would be a big circle...technology would get better by then and thered be more changes. i know its a losing battle ot build the "best" computer. the next day its no longer the best. so my options are never build a computer. or build a pretty damn good one.

basically i jsut want to keep myself up to date with technology so when i get enough funds i can build a really good one

BTW, from what I found online, it looks like only SIS is making the chipset for this. As I have issues with SiS I wouldn't recommend buying this for a while. I don't think that it has even been tested yet, but then I could be wrong...

PS,
based on the concept of building a pretty damn good one, I think going with a 3.2Ghz box or an AMD64 you can't really go wrong. Plus what do you really need all that power for, I can only think of a few real world needs for it, and games don't fit the list...

lol its more for me to build a good one, not have practical uses for it. besides, i remember when they used to say "dont get 8 mb of ram, youll never need that much, jsut get 4" and soon after things went up, software that needed that much ram came out, and things just get better exponentially.

That is the current problem with the industry though. The technology has far outpased the software. I know what you are going through wanting the best you can get, but you will find that in time you begin to dislike what you do. i would make the guess that you are either single and living at home (with parent) or have way to much money and should send me the excess so I can build a new computer too... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom