Upgrade to Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

erichan

Baseband Member
Hi,
I have upgraded my brother's PC to Windows XP but later discovered from him that his system is only Pentium II 400mhz.Now windows cannot start and stop responding too.Could this due to the system requirements to install windows XP not met?Have I damaged the system?Formerly my brother ran on Windows 2000 Pro,so can I delete the upgraded windows XP and reinstall windows 2000 for him?If possible,I also face another problem by which his computer cannot boot from a CD-ROM.I have gone to Bios Setting to change the boot order to place CD-ROM first but still doesn't work.Pls advice.Thank you!

I have run XP on a PI 133Mhz with 128mb on memory so that is not the issue. How much memory is installed on that puter?

You can disable all of the boot devices except the cd rom and that will force it to boot from the cd rom.Then reset Bios when done.

sPlAtOiD said:
You can disable all of the boot devices except the cd rom and that will force it to boot from the cd rom.Then reset Bios when done.

Very sorry!Can you tell me clearly how do I disable all of the boot devices.Can you teach me step by step coz I do not want to make any more mistake?Thank you very much!

Enter the Cmos at initial boot: hit either Del key or F2 which ever your Bios needs to enter the Bios. Go to the boot priorty section and set your Cdrom as the first boot device and the hard drive as the second (you can just reverse the order once XP is correctly installed). Once you have done this hit F10 and save the bios update. You will be prompted to hit any key to boot from the cd. Now, and again I ask, how much memory is installed on that PIII??? You need a minimum of 256mb of ram to make it run ok 512mb would be the best and that is the limit allowed by that older PIII mobo anyway.

RicoDirenzo said:
Enter the Cmos at initial boot: hit either Del key or F2 which ever your Bios needs to enter the Bios. Go to the boot priorty section and set your Cdrom as the first boot device and the hard drive as the second (you can just reverse the order once XP is correctly installed). Once you have done this hit F10 and save the bios update. You will be prompted to hit any key to boot from the cd. Now, and again I ask, how much memory is installed on that PIII??? You need a minimum of 256mb of ram to make it run ok 512mb would be the best and that is the limit allowed by that older PIII mobo anyway.

My brother's PC is only pentiumII with a memory of 512mb of ram.I tried using the other drive E: to boot from CD-Rom and it works.This time I reinstall windows XP and everything goes well but after full installation which lasts about an hour,it self-reboot and suddenly stop responding at one level without starting windows.The green monitor light also goes off suddenly and the screen turns blank without any movement or changes.May I know what I have done wrong or What am I supposed to do to successfully install windows XP?Pls rescue!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom