Windows XP Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack316u

Solid State Member
Okay...

Very Very Frustrating... My programs, almost all of them, are loading/opening very very slowly (about 30-60 secs, or more, to open). It is happening with firefox, games, outlook, word, shortcuts to folders that are on my desktop, sometimes even "my computer"...)

This has not been a gradual problem, all the sudden a couple weeks ago, this started happening... I cannot think of any significant hardware/software changes that might have triggered it.

Once the propgrams are open, they run as normal, no speed decreases while open. Just slow to open. All my programs/games (battlefield 2, AoE 3 etc...) all run fine once open.

System:

Windows XP
Pentium 4 CPU 3.0 ghz
1 gig Ram
80 and a 120 hard drives PATA at 7200rpm
Norton internet security (i know its a system hog but i have disabled all unnessesary services)

Measures i have taken:

Virus Scan - Nothing
Spybot/Adaware - Nothing Major
Norton Windoctor - Nothing
Diskcheck - Nothing
Defrag - Is done once every two weeks
TaskManager Rehaul - All unnessesary background programs terminated
All unnessesary Windows services disabled
Disabled all unessesary start-up programs
Windows "performance options" - all set to best performance

In the Task manager, it shows 0-1% CPU usage idle, and it does not increase when attempting to open a program, untill the program opens (30-60 seconds later), then it increases as it should when opening the program normally.

No background processes are running taking up a bunch of resources.

Umm... what else have i done... hehe... cant remember

Whenever i have problems, i have always been able to solve them, this one is just plain weird.

Any help/comments are appreciated

Thanks

I once repaired a computer about a month ago had the same problem not exactly but close and there was a whole lot of spyware and i got everything cleaned up but the computer was still draging bad,.Almost couldnt use it.So I did a system restore to an earler time ans it fixed the problem.

I had this happen on three machines..One of them was an overheating CPU and the other was an overheating video card and the other bad RAM.. Could you possibly give us some tempature readouts from both pieces of hardware?run some memory tests as well to be sure all is well with it.

Memtest and performance test both show alls well with memory/vid card/cpu...

How does a guy check tempuratures... is there a program??

Thanks

I downloaded "speedfan" and it shows three Temps...

16, 30 and 64C

is 64 too high a temp for at P4 3.0 w/HT ??

I have an Asus P4R800-VM mobo

Post a hijackthis log in the appropriate section and wait for Microbell to assit you.

If after Microbell helps you and it still happens. Consider a reformat and reinstall after backing up all important files.

I know there are no funny things in my hijack this...

Well, i was trying to avoid it but guess not... Time for a winxp reinstall... Oh well, its been about a year anyway... format time :D

Thanks for the attempts guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom