ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait to hear Gaara's comments on this one.

But why not if you want to waste some cash. They already have Quad core CPUs so why stop there the GPU is next.

Well "technologically" speaking, what they are doing is not that outrageous. Using multi-processors to do more work is a universal approach. Distributed computing, super computers, etc.

But for a video card? This is pointless. This sortta performance difference in the market should never exist. I think owning a 7800 GT by itself is pretty high-tech. Companies are not going to make games so advanced so that people even with a 7800 GT will have to tone it down "too" much - atleast for now. When games like Unreal Tournament 2007 come out, if your 7800 GT can't play it everything maxed out (not sure if it can or not) you can probably go and buy the latest card available then. The price of ur original card and that new card will probably be less than this monstrosity.

But, considering they've made 2000 of these only, I guess it's just a "show case" widget. :) My liike concept cars you see in auto-shows. :confused:

Ah PC gaming....... May it rest in peace. In a few very short years.

I can't wait to hear Gaara's comments on this one.
This approach is actually better than SLI or other multicard technologies IMO as you're still only buying one card and the company itself has actually put some effort into building some more sophisticated than simply soldering on a small interface to the card and allowing you to link the card to another card via a bridge

That being said...it's still poorly optimized and I most certainly wouldn't buy it as they're simply taking an extra step to modify the PCB for two cores and linking them through some sort of onboard bus that most likely suffers from latency issues

The only multi-GPU implication that would work would be actually manufacturing two cores onto one die similar to recent multicore architecture found in CPUs...and then write rendering instructions with multiple threads...this way the workload between the GPUs would actually be split evenly 50/50 rather than simply splitting the screen in half and assuming it's 50/50 when 99% of the time one GPU will be under more workload than the other

Of course I assume there are numerous reasons why GPU manufacturers haven't implimented dualcore GPU architectures...the first being the thermal specifications of GPUs are much hotter than GCUs and multiple GPUs on one die would most likely create a tremendous amount of heat...the second being the fact that most game developers and nvidia/ATI driver creators don't want to go through the extra trouble writing multiple thread instruction sets...and the third being the fact that they're lazy, they're happy with SLI because people are buying it and making them money

A multiGPU on one die would of course have it's advantages...the first being the production and retail cost of having 2x7800GTs on one die and thus one PCB would be much less than having to built two PCBs with two seperate GPUs...and of course the GPU itself would be ridiculously powerful...also the fact that you're reducing latency and getting bandwidth of the effective core speed rather than using an external bus to link two seperate GPUs together

As I've said, money talks...you don't buy SLI, they rethink their strategy and possibly move onto new innovations such as multiGPU on die architectures...boycott SLI and it will most certainly go away

This is a step in the right direction, but it's still a wrong step altogether

Wow, gaara that took me like 10mins to read that. But i do agree with you everyone should scrap the sli forcing ati/nvidia to make more innovative cards such as dualcore gpu's.

I believe that sli/crossfire is the worst thing to happen to gaming, because it allows nvidia/ati, just to sell 2 of the same card, instead of creating innovative cards that will creat much gaming performance and increasing graphics at higher resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom