CPU Damaged? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobzor

Baseband Member
Pins Bent? HELP!

I am rebuilding my computer in a week and just a moment ago I was checkout out my computer to see what I was up against (first time constructing a computer)
Well when I was removing the CPU Heatsink, the CPU was stuck to the bottom! Upon examining it closer, 2 or 3 of the pins were slightly bent, but I could bend them back with a toothpick to get it back in the socket.

Should I worry? What's the worst that could happen?

Yes, do not use large plyers. Use the smallest ones you can find. When my dad took apart his pc, he bent some but i got plyers and bent like 4 pins back and it was fine. Also if you bend em just enough and they will bend back into place once in socket. Next time make sure its released properly and pull it out completly vertical.

no, use a mechanical pencil to put them back in place, clear out the led and stick the pin inside the hole and straighten it, I read it on maximum pc article.

I got it to go back in, and the computer started up... It recognized I had changed the processor (or removed it and put it back in, whatever) and everything seems ok... If the pins didn't break will I experience any lag/overheating/performance decreases? Anyone been in my shoes?

I've bent pins before... it's very easy to fix. And there is really no risk in bending them back, except if you do it to hard they might brake off. Even then it might still work, I broke several pins off an old 486 a long time ago, it still worked.

Use a hammer to fix the pins. Just whack the CPU firmly (but not too hard) until the pins bend back into place. You'll know it's working when you start seeing cracks on the processor. If the processor breaks into more than one piece, you've hit it too hard and you'll need to use some super glue to put it back together.

Hahaha I hope you're kidding

(Noobzors 10 minutes in the future... "Hm... I don't think I did it right... maybe a few more whacks will fix it.")

CitizenCain said:
Use a hammer to fix the pins. Just whack the CPU firmly (but not too hard) until the pins bend back into place. You'll know it's working when you start seeing cracks on the processor. If the processor breaks into more than one piece, you've hit it too hard and you'll need to use some super glue to put it back together.

Agreed, that method has saved me many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom