trouble moving video files

Status
Not open for further replies.

spodadog

Solid State Member
Hello! I have an external harddrive and I am trying to move my downloaded movies to the Xternal but when I try this it will copy for awhile; depending on the size, and then say "cannot copy <file>: Invalid MS-Dos Command.
I have another Xternal, of better quality that I have done this with and had no problems, but now if I try to copy them to that one it says the same thing, also the same thing if I try to move from one Xternal to the other. This only happens with videos, movies, tv shows etc.,,,,

I am trying to get everything backed up as I think I might have a virus due to other problems I have been encountering. Could this be related to a known virus or something?
Thanx

I'm sorry. WinXp, And they are both usb, I have a firewire for one of them also but no where to plug it in to. I also forgot to say that I have no service packs and thought that might have something to do with it.

Bingo..........what is happening is that you need at least SP1 (I would downlad SP2) to run USB 2.0. You are getting a USB bandwidth transfer error. Install Sp2 and your problem will be solved!

Do you know where can I get it without going through Microsoft? I have a copy of XP, had the original but I lost it so I can't go to ms updates. I tried downloads.com but no go.

Do I need to have SP1 first? I tried that other thing and it is letting me move my video files but no longer see's the one xternal drive, of course it is the one I am trying to move all the videos files too.

I installed everything, and it still does not see my Xternal hard drive. I have not been able to get it to see other different internal HD's. It also does not see my CD Burner, What The Hell Is Goin On? I did download what you said and am getting ready to re-boot my p.c.

Thats a common problem with an easy fix usually

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Note If this data type is missing, go to Method 2.
7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
8. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom