taking cpu apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riz

Baseband Member
I think im going to take my old computer apart to try to learn about building them and all. I have this book about computers and it said that you need an ESD bracelet to prevent shock. Do I really need this? Any other tips for taking apart a computer for the first time? Thanks.

I just took mine apart on carpet and I didnt get shocked. Im not totally sure but I think the bracelet is so you dont shock your parts and fry them, not to prevent shocks that would harm you.

If it's your first time taking your comp apart make sure you know where everything goes for when you put it back together.
For example, Note down which way round your IDE connectors fit into your motherboard and CD-Drive / HDD. You can use the Red line (PIN 1) as a reference. also note down the position of any cables connected to your motherboard like power switch and leds etc. A motherboard manual will help.

As far as ESD goes, it's really not an issue all that offten, but when it does strike, it's usually big. The bracelet is just to protect the computer incase it happens. The bigger issue is maintaining a good ground all the itme while workin with the machine. Best way is too keep the PS plugged in and switched off. This way you are using a real ground and won't have problems with power running through your system.

When working on a computer as a new experience, always work on hardfloors. This will help with keeping the possibility for static build up low. Keep extra antistatic bags around for the components, and be sure not to drop anything.
When taking out screws, be very carefull. I remember scratching the first board I ever had and it was destroyed. Not very good.

good Luck.

If you dont ground yourself, ocasionally touch the (properly grounded) metal on your case to prevent ESD.

When I was first learning how to disassemble my first PC I used a digicam to take pictures as I did it for reference upon reassembly. Helped alot.

Im sure youll do fine. Its a great learning experience, youll have fun.

Riz said:
I think im going to take my old computer apart to try to learn about building them and all. I have this book about computers and it said that you need an ESD bracelet to prevent shock. Do I really need this? Any other tips for taking apart a computer for the first time? Thanks.

Yes edit the topic to:
Building a custom computer.
oops
Not even Bill Gates can take a cpu apart.

:D
Lots i can add then.
:)

i just hold onto the case before, during, and after i'm done playing with the insides, the best way to ground yourself would be to get onto a rubber matt, place your hand on the case, and touch the metal screw on the electrical outlet, where you'd plug your power cord in on the wall, and touch the case and screw at the same time and that's grounding yourself, get off of the matt and you'll have to re-do it =/ cheers!

Demalii's absolutely rite .. Grabbing the case .. before u start touching the componets is the best way ..
Since the case is metal ..it clears all the electrostatic charge ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom