Diabling DMA in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

lws_junior

Baseband Member
In a pc I've recently built I've installed Power dvd however I need to disable the DMA on my dvdrom and dvd -burner. (power dvd gave me the enable/disable options DMA). The options to disable the DMA for these two drives are grayed-out and I'm unable to uncheck them.

With Windows 2k sp4 I had that option. When the dma is turned on I had problems with the computer freezing up whenever playing a movie. I'm now having this proble now that I have Win XP sp2 installed.

The IDE hard discs are DMA enables whih is correct.

Not quite sure how to disable the DMA for these two drive within the regestry but hopefully there's another method to accomplish this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

To Disable DMA in Windows XP:

1. Log in to Windows with administrator access.

2. Right-click My Computer, and choose Properties.

3. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

4. Unclick the plus sign (+) beside IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

5. Right-click the IDE disk, and choose Properties.

6. Click the Advanced Settings tab, and select DMA if available from the Transfer Mode menu.

7. Click OK when Windows returns an alert about Disabling DMA.

8. In the Device Manager, unclick the plus sign (+) beside DVD/CD-ROM drives.

9. Right-click the DVD drive, and choose Properties. Click the Settings tab, and select Disable DMA. (This option won't appear if the drive isn't connected to the IDE chain.)

10. Repeat step 9 for the CD-ROM drive if it exists.

Thanks for the reply.

Right-click the DVD drive, and choose Properties. Click the Settings tab, and select Disable DMA. (This option won't appear if the drive isn't connected to the IDE chain.)

On this machine there is no Setting tab available to deselect the dma. My dvd-rom and dvd-burner are both on the IDE-secondary channel. I would tend to believe there would be this setting.

Even the Win2k sp4 system I'm on now doesnt have the dma setting for the dvd-rom drive and burner.

The program PowerDVD shows that the dma is off for the two devices and movies play ok in Win2k. In WinXP PowerDVD shows the dma for these two drives are enabled and can't be changed within the program. Movies freeze up when I play them.

This is a new one on me. Any more advise will be appreciated

Yikes.........hmmmmmmmm...............Xp and 2000 both defualt to +DMA. I don't quite understand why that program requires that DMA be disabled but I'll do some addtional research and see what I can find out.

Ok, try this:

To disable DMA in Windows 2000 or XP:

Right-click My Computer and select Properties.

Select the Hardware tab when the systems properties window appears.

In the Hardware tab, select the Device Manager button.

Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to expand the options.

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, double-click on the listing to bring up the property dialog box for the Primary IDE channel.

Click on the Advanced settings tab.

Note: If you do not have an advanced settings tab, you may have a vendor accelerator software

package installed. Check Start>Programs for “Intel Application Accelerator” or similar program and remove using the “Add/Remove Programs” Control Panel.

If available, set Transfer Mode for Device 0 and 1 to No DMA. Then select OK.

Your computer asks if you would like to reboot at this point. Select NO.

Repeat steps 5–8 for the Secondary IDE channel.

This time, when you are prompted, select Reboot.

DO THIS FOR THE SECONDARY ide CHANNEL ONLY!!!!!!!!!!

Probably have accelerator softare. Go into add remove programs and look for something like 'intel application accelerator' and uninstall it. If you can in here set the Transfer Mode for dev 0 and 1 to No DMA select okay, dont restart and set the others that you need to set. Basically, restart after you have whatever IDE dev set to PIO (guessing) that you need. THEN restart. That should do it, if not then you'll probably need to edit ther registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom