Optimising for Large Amounts of Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
I upgraded my PC from 512mb to 1.5gb of Ram. What should i do to optimize the system so it utilises the ram more efficiently as i find that the ram doesnt get utilised unless im playing BF2 or CS-S.

Wayne

I think you will have to wait for Vista which has features to utilize large amounts of ram if you have it. Check the Vista Discussion thread it should be burried 10-15 pages back.

You now have 3x 512mb? Buy another 512mb, if that is the case, and run the two gigs dual channel. That will help performance a little tiny weeny bit.

attack of the quotes!!! :p

I think you will have to wait for Vista which has features to utilize large amounts of ram if you have it. Check the Vista Discussion thread it should be burried 10-15 pages back.

Yes, i saw about that in your Vista thread (which i am currently subscribed to) about how Vista can use up to 100 or so GB of ram and use it really efficiently.

You now have 3x 512mb? Buy another 512mb, if that is the case, and run the two gigs dual channel. That will help performance a little tiny weeny bit.

Nah, my motherboard doesnt support dual channel. Its a A7n8x-x which has a Nvidia Nforce 2 chipset but no special features like RAID or SATA or Dual Channel. I only have an overclocked Athlon XP 2500+ so i dont think Dual Channel is really worth a new mobo :confused:

I know its not what your looking for, but it does get into the issue of just how much RAM a windows PC uses under different conditions and will give you idea of what to expect from the extra RAM you just added.

That was an interesting read. You can see from 512 to 2gb the difference is quite large especially in BF2 which is the main reason i bought this ram :p

stylexp and windowblinds use alot of memory

haha, yeah i know but that still means more hard drive load at startup and im not really looking into wasting the ram but more using it more efficiently.

Windowsblinds 5 doesnt use any memory now. It is incorporate completely into XP now. It is just an extension of the style sheet.

As for the optimization. I have been looking for something myself. Havent really found the best app yet. I have gone form 512MB to 1.5 GB to 3 GB. So i am not in a big rush to find optimization but it would be nice.

waynejkruse10 said:
Nah, my motherboard doesnt support dual channel. Its a A7n8x-x which has a Nvidia Nforce 2 chipset but no special features like RAID or SATA or Dual Channel. I only have an overclocked Athlon XP 2500+ so i dont think Dual Channel is really worth a new mobo :confused:

I had that Mobo. 1 and 3 or 2 and 3 is dual channel if you have the same ram

1 and 2 and 3 is dual channel regardless of ram if all 3 slot are full

try that new windows I was talking to you about. it is as fast as the old xp 2600 but it has protection (xp 2600 the one with no service packs is fast as hell, but everybody can come through on that computer as it has no real protection. Xp sp2 protects you but it slows everything up doing it)

Attachments

• asus 1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 16
you are right. that was the mobo of my first real computer (amd 1200 256 ram) 4 years ago. I forgot about that one. I sold that system to my cousin, who is still using it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom