Help -> Install windows Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

afroman

Baseband Member
I need help to install Win Me - I have empty, formated HDD, previously Win XP was on it, so what I do is this:
> insert WinMe boot CD in DVDrom (D:),
> it recognizes the disc,
> then it start scanning system registry
> and then it displays this mesage:

Cannot create a temporary directory.
If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on
your Hard drive, you will need to create
an MS-DOS boot partition to set up windows.
D:\winme>

This may be very simple if you know DOS commands, but
unfortunately I don't know them, so please can you
advice me what to do and write me commands to start
up installing windows Me.

I think it could have something to do with NTFS and FAT32.

OMG!!!!!!!! You are installing the Bastard stepchild of 98SE!! ME is total crap. DO NOT, AND I REPEAT, DO NOT INSTALL ME ON ANY COMPUTER THAT YOU WANT TO ACTUALLY WORK CORRECTLY. My God man, XP is like heaven compared to that piece of s**t!!!!! Trust me, put XP back on before we have to send out the OS stupid police to slap you around!! :)

Well I have 2 disks one with XP, and on the other I would like to install Me. I know it sucks - and DO NOT, AND I REPEAT, DO NOT send me OS stupid police to slap me around - cause XP rules!

Dual operating systems are possible....but why??????????????????????????????????? Use ME? Get to know Linux if you want a dual boot. Linux is free and good!!!

It's not completely awful. I use it right now because I have too little time to install Linux and don't want to spend money to upgrade to 2000 or XP. Plus, it's handy for older DOS games.

Have you tried fdisk? At the C prompt, type fdisk. It should open a DOS program. There seems to be a very good guide here.

Good luck with whatever you want to use it for.

You need a windows 98 boot disk. Boot off of it and when its at the A: type fidisk and delete all non dos partitions and create a new active partition. And in my opion a clean install of windows ME isnt that bad of an operating system.The worst part of it is finding drivers for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom