painting components black

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello
I bought the antec sonata-piano black

i have old components( floppy drive and cd rom), they are white in color

i was wondering if i could color them black, can i use some sort of spray paint can. can you guys recommend one?

I painted a cd drive and floppy drive black once...

I just used spray paint,
I uncliped the front covers... then sprayed(lightly)... and waited a few hours.., and they looked surprizingly well (all drippy right when I sprayed them, but settled well)

they should be little pieces that clip onto the metal
eggsample.jpg

one on each side and top, and maybe on the bottom, there might also be screws

just push each one in with a screwdriver or something... make sure the drive door is open...

thanks for the reply

can i not spray paint it without unclipping the cover?

why make sure the drive door is open...

you can, but then the earphone plug, light, and words (anything on the front) would also be painted...,,

and you can't pop the front off if the bay door is closed...

*the floppy drive cover is all one piece..., so no door to worry about

EDIT:

I'm surprised that no one but me replied, I thought my "use spray paint" comment was a little far fetched...

although I did, I bet their are special paints for plasitc and whatnot...(I don't know of any)

I have never painted computer parts but I have painted plastic many times. If you want a professional job you need to use plastic paint, Crylon makes some http://www.misterart.com/grouppix/280x210/8000/g8420.jpg
they have more colors then that

If you don't want to use plastic paint you need to use a plastic primer then use your regular paint over that.http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/reference_folder/Painting_Plastic_Figures/plasticPrimer_1.jpg

I recommend using metallic auto body spray paint, but you will need to use primer then the paint then a clear coat. If you do it this way it will look like a million bucks
:cool:

I was thinking about doing this to my entire case so that I wouldn't have to but a new case AND Windows XP again. Is this a bad idea?

I don't think its a bad idea. If you do what I said with the auto body paint, Take your time and do a good job, It will look so nice your friend won't believe you painted it:p

Use a scotch-Britte pad or a S.o.S. pad to scuff all the parts to a dull finish so the paint/primer will stick to it, Then wash all the parts really good. Follow the directions on the can. Most good auto-body spray paint cans will spray in a line not in a crappy circle giving you more control while painting and a better finish.

When its all done and dry you can polish it to a high shine using car wax/polish like turtle wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom