Birthday gift for awesome son

Status
Not open for further replies.
man and I thought giving my daughter my 3 gig intel was good :(
awesome rig even with my setup listed below i can play any high end game no problem. your rig blows mine away obviously but would be glad to offer tech advise along with a thousand others here :) definately let us know how the build goes. (twitches with the upgrade itch!!!!)

I personally have the Thermaltake Tsunami and i must say it's a great case. Not only is it pleasing to the eyes, it is also very quiet and made with great quality. Thermaltake in general makes great products with awesome reliability and quality put into them. You won't be disappointed if you get the Tsunami ;). Sounds like your child definitely deserves this pc, hope he has a blast with it!

I have a Tsunami myself... and it's not very quiet at all. In fact, I plan on taking some time over Christmas break to sound dampen it. I have 2x120mm "silent" fans and a chipset cooler running at full speed, and a 90cm cpu hsf at variable speed. Some time ago, an unrelated project set my 2 120mm fans to full throttle... not sure how that happened. The case was pretty quiet before that. It's a complicated story, so I'll just say that the Tsunami has the potential to be quiet, but it depends what you are running. It doesn't contain or cancel sound all that well, but if you produce little, you'll be ok.

Read all the posts and then went on a google extravangza on a variety of topics. Thought I should share all I learned but I'll break it up as I may crash before I cover it all.

Topic #1 GTX 512-P2-N545-AX

Good advice from lazerman on not buying the video card from Dell. I was jazzed by the price and the availability but I have been burned before by Dell's proprietary bent before. But then I read the following on cooltechzone with a fair amount of dismay.

NVIDIA to Phase Out 7800GTX 512MB in February

"(Insider Report) - Well, we’ve been hearing rumors about this for a while, but we finally heard it from the horse’s mouth not too long ago. Recent conversations with insiders at NVIDIA have led us to believe that their top of the line card, the 7800GTX 512MB will be out of production sometime in Q1 next year, most likely somewhere around February ‘06.

This fits in quite well as we suspect ATI to launch the R580 GPU around the same timeframe. Therefore, NVIDIA will need to come up with something really special to beat ATIÂ’s upcoming offering (at least on paper). Of course, if the 7800GTX 512MB is anything to go by, the G71 or G72 GPUs will still be considerably faster.

However, tough times could be ahead for NVIDIA, since the maximum overclock that the 7800GTX 512MB managed was around 700MHz while the X1800XT crossed the 1GHz marker. Of course, this was with space age cooling but the potential was definitely there. Needless to say, both NVIDIA and ATI are prepping their next product lineups as 2005 draws to an end. "

I don't want to spend this much on a card that is going out of production a few weeks after I buy it. My new plan is to take the ATI X700 out of his current machine and put in the new system until the next latest and greatest comes out and just stash the $750 alloted for the card until that happens. Maybe the Easter bunny will have to bring it, and I can stretch out this gift over a couple of holidays ;-)

Next topic: CPU Cooler

Again I listened to lazerman and finally looked into the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. For a mere $50 this thing rocks. For less than 25% of the cost of the Enermax Noisetake it beat all the benchmarks by huge margins. See representative review here:

http://reviews.pimprig.com/cooling/thermaltake_big_typhoon_cpu_cooler.php

However, the size of this thing just borders on the obscene. Serious testosterone went into this design. While the reviews I read raved about it, the likelihood of me getting this just so on the board in the right case and getting everything else to fit is iffy and I decided not to risk it. So I am sticking with the Enermax, but seriously considering going up to the 660W. For additional reasons see next post about the board.

Topic #3: AMD A8N32-SLI motherboard

Read just about all 16 pages of posts on the ASUS corporate-sponsered forum. Definitely some issues with this board, but they fall into mostly two categories-BIOS/utility issues and PSU incompatiblity. Only a few PSU models have proven to work with the board, but one of them is the Enermax. Added plus is that it is also certified by NVidia. As to the BIOS issues, one thing I do have a lot of experience with is firmware/software. (Without software all this hardware stuff is just a big paperweight your realize!) By the time I build this rig the BIOS issues should be mostly resolved, and nobody has really taken any issue with the hardware. There were alot of posters discussing going to DFI there too, but I am sticking with this board. A side note is that alot of people have already figured out the subleties of overclocking this thing, so I should be able to just "cut and paste these settings" without much risk.

Topic #4: The #!*%#! Case

Thanks for all the case posts, but I still haven't found "the one". Was actually honing in on the Lian-Li, but issues with the board and this case (inversion factor) kind of eliminated it. And using a tray to put the motherboard in is making it's way to my requirements list too, so I am looking for a case with that included now. I would be thrilled to get more suggestions, especially from people who already have a system with this board.

Last, thanks for all the help and I will definitely utilize this group when I begin to get it built. Learned a ton already!

Okay, I still recommend the Thermaltake.... If you have a big case, then a big cpu cooler shouldn't be a problem. Also look for the Cooler Master Stacker (CM Stacker) on Monarch, I believe that case is awesome.

in my opinion i think that it would be cool if you and you son built the computer together. if hes taking java he must be intrested in computers ......lol i never heard of monarch but i know that newegg has some of the lowest prices ....well thats just my 2 cents. HOPE THIS BUILD GOES WELL!!!!

laurieny said:
Read all the posts and then went on a google extravangza on a variety of topics. Thought I should share all I learned but I'll break it up as I may crash before I cover it all.

Topic #1 GTX 512-P2-N545-AX

Good advice from lazerman on not buying the video card from Dell. I was jazzed by the price and the availability but I have been burned before by Dell's proprietary bent before. But then I read the following on cooltechzone with a fair amount of dismay.

NVIDIA to Phase Out 7800GTX 512MB in February

"(Insider Report) - Well, we’ve been hearing rumors about this for a while, but we finally heard it from the horse’s mouth not too long ago. Recent conversations with insiders at NVIDIA have led us to believe that their top of the line card, the 7800GTX 512MB will be out of production sometime in Q1 next year, most likely somewhere around February ‘06.

This fits in quite well as we suspect ATI to launch the R580 GPU around the same timeframe. Therefore, NVIDIA will need to come up with something really special to beat ATIÂ’s upcoming offering (at least on paper). Of course, if the 7800GTX 512MB is anything to go by, the G71 or G72 GPUs will still be considerably faster.

However, tough times could be ahead for NVIDIA, since the maximum overclock that the 7800GTX 512MB managed was around 700MHz while the X1800XT crossed the 1GHz marker. Of course, this was with space age cooling but the potential was definitely there. Needless to say, both NVIDIA and ATI are prepping their next product lineups as 2005 draws to an end. "

I don't want to spend this much on a card that is going out of production a few weeks after I buy it. My new plan is to take the ATI X700 out of his current machine and put in the new system until the next latest and greatest comes out and just stash the $750 alloted for the card until that happens. Maybe the Easter bunny will have to bring it, and I can stretch out this gift over a couple of holidays ;-)
well there is more to a card than the clock speeds. it's the same with CPU's.
the X1800XT gets higher clock speeds, but it only has 16 pixel pipelines, compared to the 7800's 24.
a pixel pipeline is basically what processes what colour each pixel will be. the more pixel pipelines, the more pixels it can process at once.
the 512MB 7800 GTX doesn't get as high clock speeds, but it is still faster because of the larger amount of pixel pipelines.

even if the card does get discontinued, that still doesn't mean it's a bad card.
what it probabbly means is that Nvidia is going to release an even faster card.
it happens all the time. you buy a top-end product, and a few months later there is already something better. you can't avoid that, it's how technology grows.
the 512MB 7800 GTX is the top card at the moment, however it will be exceeded

the card will be a good card for a long time. in a couple of months, it might not be the best card, but it will still be good.

but if you keep waiting for the better card to come out, you're going to be waiting for a long time. there will always be something better going to come out.

although, yes it is an expensive card to get, and I understand somebody not wanting to spend so much on a video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom