JoshSB

Geek Squad
Hey guys, just got a new computer, these are the specs:

AMD athlon 64 3800+ X2

Geforce 6800GT

2 Gigs of Corsair Valueselect RAM

160 Seagate Sata HDD

420W power supply

Well, i was wondering, since EVGA offers a 3 month stepup program for EVGA buyers, if for 185 dollars it would be worth it (graphically, since I only play BF2, WoW, UT 2k4, and a few others) to upgrade to a 7800 GT, this would happen probably after Xmas, around january 10 or so, What do you guys think?

Do not think I fugged up on the 6800GT, scores a 4935-4969 on the 3dmark05 which seems about normal for this card, runs all my games at full res with about 50+ FPS easy, normally spikes to 60.

Thanks guys

-Josh

P.S. do I have to enable openGL or is it automatic?

If i was in your position, i'd just stick with the 6800GT. It's still a great card and probably maxes out all the games you play, correct me if i'm wrong. I just don't believe it's worth it to pay $185 for a minimal gain in performance. Stick with the 6800GT for a while longer. It should serve you well ;)

good thing to hear, hey rice, any suggestion on my new edit, do I enable openGL or is it an automatic function of the card?

I'm pretty sure OpenGL is automatic, and that's why Nvidia does very well in games like FEAR, Doom 3, and Quake 4 and ATI cards perform poorly, because those games require heavily on OpenGL.

oh hey, on your 12MS LCD, do you see any ghosting ,I need to buy a new LCD monitor found a killer deal on 12 MS, but unsure as to weather or not its any good.

Also I a ssume that running a game in 1280 by 1024 instead of the 1158 (i think), the one right below it, will lower the FPS?

JoshSB said:
oh hey, on your 12MS LCD, do you see any ghosting ,I need to buy a new LCD monitor found a killer deal on 12 MS, but unsure as to weather or not its any good.

Also I a ssume that running a game in 1280 by 1024 instead of the 1158 (i think), the one right below it, will lower the FPS?

12ms is ok, really i think people just want super fast monitors to brag about :p, i see no ghosting with a 16 ms monitor :D

i just got the vx922 and i must say that it is easily the best monitor i have ever used...the screen is so bright, no ghosting at all, plus it looks sweet on my desk

Hey guys I want to thank you all for your quick help with the video card, and im glad i dont have to monkey in the BIOS to turn on openGL, to much extra work hehe. Thanks.

-Josh

Riceball said:
in games like FEAR, Doom 3, and Quake 4 and ATI cards perform poorly, because those games require heavily on OpenGL.

(off topic) the new ATI cards perform on par with nvidia as long as they have the latest drivers. I know my card does. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom