Buying MOBO for Athalon 64 X2

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikermed

Beta member
I have been looking at 2 sites lately to check pricing on a motherboard... the price isnt in question, its the compatiblity with the processor im checking for... the MOBO is ASUS A8V Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard it can be found at

newegg at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131541

Zipzoomfly at: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=247001

Now im getting mixed signals on... should i buy this... i checked the manufacturer website, and it sais it is compatible, im just trying to make sure it is compatible... and if it is not can anyone suggest an ASUS board that i can look at... im trying to keep the price range around $80.00... but if you have suggestions... Il be glad to check them out.

reply to previous

see thing is i need an AGP slot, all im doing is upgrading my mobo and processor... I was wondering if it was compatible... and from what i have been reading i would prob need to flash my bios... which im assuming i can do before installing windows... here are my specs that i hope to have: I like to edit and play high end games... and my vid card will last me a while for now... im looking to upgrade in the next month...

Mobo 939 1 4x/8x AGP (want)
AMD 64 x2 4200 (want)
sound card
firewire card
wireless G card
1 prim 80 gig HD
1 sec 160 gig HD
500 Wat psu
128 mb AGP radeon all in wonder 9600 XT

update bios

Well I answered my original question about the compatibility... my question is now... how to update a bios... I have not had to do it in the past on my previous mobo... and from what I have read it is a good idea with the motherboard... Now how would i do the update... what would be the best way to go about it

Should I make a Dos Bootable disk

Udate using AFUDOS which is included on software that comes with the mobo

or should i update after i install windows and run a flash update?

From what i hear the Dos Boot disk is the best solution since it the bios will be updated before the the O/S is installed....

And if you have a chance... Can you use both SATA and IDE Hardrives? and what would be the posisitive and negative of using both at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom