Birthday gift for awesome son

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Raidmax Scorpio and i cant hear it at all and my room is now quiet. Nice build and whether you get DFI or the Asus there shouldnt be a problem.

I use an asus board and it is alright haven't had to much troubles with it but there support stinks like said earlier if you have any problems with it your likly not goign to get any help with it. i had a problem but it was a "user" problem on my part. but i called them up and told them which it ended up beign a very easy problem but they had me try some stupid things and then when they ran out of things they jsut went slient for about 5 mins then i jsut hanged up the phone cause it was completely usless to try to get help form them i have freinds that use the DLI and theynever had aa problem with there and it was there first time building also so if u are confident in what u are doign i would lean more to the asus.

I also have problem with asus there "nos" program it comes with has a glitch and it don't read the temp right acually it only reads the temp at being 94c but other then that i am happy with my asus borad jsut not happy with the support

That is going to be a fast rig, no doubt. There is one piece of advice that a few people gave you that I really dont understand however. If people complain that the 74gb raptor isn't worth the price/performance/storage ratio, why would they suggest a drive that makes that ratio EVEN WORSE? The 36gb model not only has half of the storage, but also takes a significant performance hit. It's specs are not nearly as impressive. On top of that, its only a 40-60 dollar price difference, and you clearly aren't splitting hairs when it comes to financing this build. Personally, I believe that the 36gb model isn't ever worth it, whereas if you have the money, the 74gb model definitely is. I think these guys are just used to advising people making $800-1500 computers that raptors aren't worth it and are too stubborn to change their opinions as the situation permits.
One of the most common ways people try to downplay the raptor is by using the arguement that "yea, its faster, but only in a very few situations." That is a load of pure, grade A Bull. Every single time your computer acceses the hard drive the raptor will do it quicker than a conventional 7200rpm drive, and guess what? Your HDD is accessed far more often than 90% of people seem to think (or perhaps, care to admit?).
In my opinion, the best non-raptor drives are the monstrous 300-400 drives with 16mb cache. They give the best of both worlds, gobs of storage, and performance approaching raptor territory.
Spending as much as you are on the computer, I think you would be doing yourself (and your son) a huge discredit by going with the 36gb model. The 74gb has plenty of storage to store many games, especially if you dont fill it up with games with really low system requirements.

laurieny,

Well, you certainly got a lot of great advice from the TF members that posted in this thread. That system will be one amazing gift for your son who seems to deserve it. But, with all of his homework will he even have time to play games? I bet you'll be gaming in no time. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. No matter what age you are gaming is entertaining, increases hand eye coordination and develops creative thinking.

I think it's great that you are going to build this PC yourself. Not only are you saving money, but it is going to be a great learning experience. PLEASE, feel free to ask any questions that come up during the build process. We have plenty of very knowledgible members here that have a lot of experience. A lot of them can't wait to answer questions.

Good Luck with your build!

I would also order maybe another 120mm fan if the case allows it; and maybe some blue cathode rays if it has a window side panel :p

dam hmm mabe i should use ur son as a role model :p

anyways. great build. but 1 thing, if i had that much cash and wanted a computer for the next 3 years it might be better to get a new cheaper comp every year

but thats really an awsome build. the ASUS motehrboard is ok but i HATE my Asus mobo and their customer service has taken over a week to get back to me before :'(
personally i would get the DFI but if u have had posotive experience with Asus thats fine

as for a case this 1 is quiet and i think the psu is fine but no idea about how roomy it is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

you are one AWESOME MOM, i really hope ur son likes his rig, that is KILLA... my b-day is comin up soon ;)

lol jj,
nice choice!

The Antec SonataII is pretty nice but it isnt roomy enough for what she wants. I have the SonataII and it works for me (my main rig) but really if i wanted to stuff other things in it it wouldnt be any good. The Lian-Li is awesome though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom