Double processor systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

klevenskiy

Baseband Member
Hello.
Can anybody point me to any useful links or give me some advice on building a double processor system. I am just starting to research in this direction and don't even know if it is practical to get 2 processors. My goal would be to build a system with 2 dual core processors and 2 gigs of RAM. I am sattisfied with my gfx and sound card at the moment so i mostly need advice in MoBo, Processor and Ram selection.
Also what type of Ram would be the best? I have heard about rimm but not from a very trustworthy source so I don't really know what type of RAM would be the best to get.
Thank You in advance.

Do you want a duel core system or a two processor system.

If you go for multi processors you may need a server motherboard but if you want duel core what is your budget?

well let me ask 1 thing.....

Ok so you want a multiprocessor computer
But do you have any software/need that will actually take advantage of it?

So not all software can utilize the power of both processors? Isn't the OS supposed to split watever load evenly between the 2 processors? That's the questions I can't find out for sure anywhere. I have researched and asked a bunch of my friends and some source say yes, some no. So I am comfused.

Yes

even if the software is 32 bit you will take advantage of the better multitasking and the future of software is in 64 bit.

klevenskiy said:
So not all software can utilize the power of both processors? Isn't the OS supposed to split watever load evenly between the 2 processors? That's the questions I can't find out for sure anywhere. I have researched and asked a bunch of my friends and some source say yes, some no. So I am comfused.

Here is the deal.

You need Windows XP Pro(64) or Windows 2000 to take have the OS even recognize the multiple CPU's

And if you have the OS that will support it, you can tell windows what programs you want on which processor "Set Affinity"

But to really take advantage of multiple CPU's, you need programs that support SMP (Symmetrical Multi-Processing), programs with SMP will fully take advantage by sending out multiple threads rather than 1.

This is different than "Set Affinity", because with the affinity set for each program, the process is still only sending out 1 thread, but to a specific CPU.

Well I am a video game developer and I need fast CPU speeds for 3d editing, lighting generation etc. It would be a useful thing to be able to both work in the editing program on one CPU and testing it in game simultaneously on another one.
Another question: What is more practicle - to get 4 512 mb memory, or just 2 1024mb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom