Heating issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtb2005

Baseband Member
Hello Guys!
I got a Pentium D 820 for my first build, but I heard it had problems with overheating, so I got a Zalman 7700AlCu. However, when I installed it the first time it said it was running at over 55c idle and almost 70c load, so I reinstalled it, being careful to follow arctic silver's instructions. It still runs at 48c idle and 65c load even with the fan turned up all the way! I wondering if you have any advice for me?

intels are known to run hot.. that doesnt suprise me.. maybe you still put too much thermal paste on..

What cools the rest of your Case?

The more cooling in the case, can also cool a proc much more.

Also what power supply, those can impact heat also.

My guess would be the HEATSINK & FAN aren't properly mounted on the CPU Socket, which is LGA775 and known to have mounting issues.

A little thermal paste in the right amount might help too.

iam_not_2fast4u said:
how do you know if u have put to much thermal paste on?

Yea, really.

I have a Raidmax X-1 case
1 120mm exhaust fan
1 80mm intake fan right over the proc.
2 80mm fans (1 intake to power supply, 1 exhaust from power supply
Temp inside case is 35-45 (idle-load app.) Same with graphics card (X800GTO Connect3d). I thought the graphics card ran abit hot... Would it help to make the intake fan have a pipe directly to the Zalman 7700's fan? It looks as if the 80 intake's air would be pulled directly out by the 120mm. Air around the case is 20c
There's a mount for a 80/92/120mm fan in the front.
Would it help to mod the case with a 120mm fan out the top?
Anyways, thanks for the replies!

Let me get this right, useing to much thermal paste would cause the heat sink not to cool it fully?

it would cause it to overheat... think of it like this

putting too big of a blanket on someone would make them hotter.. but if there so-so hot to begin with, they dont need a big blanket.. put a THIN layer of it on there... i like mine to where i cant see any of the proc. but not have it clumping.. just a nice smooth thin layer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom